Whelen Freedom info

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Whelen Freedom info

Post by KB2ZTX »

OK all you whelen buffs out there, I have a question that I can't seem to get answered locally. I am looking into a new LED barlight for my truck. I am sick of switching filters depending on what I am doing, and have a design based on the freedom. What I need to know is are the modules for a freedom able to be broken up, or changed around per say. In looing at one on a local fire truck it appears they use the same module as in the talon light, however stack 2 of them up. Is it possible to seperate them ?

OK back to my design. What I would like to do is have all the lower LED modules amber(for my plowing work) but have all the upper LED modules Red/Blue for the Fire Department/Coordinator work. I have talked to my local whelen rep who looked at me like I had a 3rd eye. I can't believe no one else has wanted something similar to this.

I tend to build my own lights rather than order them, but am looking for some info, before I go and order $1000.00 worth of LED modules.

Thanks

JAS
KB2ZTX
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Whelen Freedom info

Post by Pj »

The Freedom series bars use 400 series modules. There is one row of LED's over another...all in the same module.

If you want two colors in the same lens section (red on top, amber on the bottom) you can do this. To have them controlled independently, you will need the WECAN version of the Freedom bar. This allows for multiple color/independent control of EACH COLOR SEGMENT of the lightheads AND control the light PATTERN for each light segment. This includes the corner modules as well.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Post by Pj »

http://www.whelen.com/pb/Automotive/Pro ... ghtbar.pdf

If your sales rep doesn't know about these bars, then he is an idiot. These are one of the newest hottest sellers that Whelen has been pushing.

Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

The WECAN Freedom II is tits. You should have no issues configuring it for all amber, amber + color, or all color. PJ will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can even configure it to have a traffic advisor across the back in your amber tier, and use that TA along with the colors when in fire mode.
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Post by KB2ZTX »

Thanks. Well I just called the dealer I get my parts from and he is lost now, is going to call Whelen. He doesn't show the modules anywhere in his parts book. Does anyone have the part number for the corner LED with Blue Top, Amber Bottom, then the inner ones same way, but also with Red on top ?

I have the entire light, so only need to buy the module to set it up.

JAS
KB2ZTX
Firecar96

Post by Firecar96 »

I think you are going to have to order a completely new lightbar that already has the WeCan system built into it. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure its not a specific or different lighthead then is in the regular freedom bars, I think it is a special module that controles all the lights. You may not be able to use the bar you currently have unless it is already WeCan compatable.
NickH

Post by NickH »

I think the Freedom II is available in the non WeCan configuration. If not you'll need the LED modules, WeCan Command board and control cable. You can use the rest of you bar (Chassis, Internal Harness and TD/Alleys).

-Nick
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

tvsjr wrote:The WECAN Freedom II is tits. You should have no issues configuring it for all amber, amber + color, or all color. PJ will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can even configure it to have a traffic advisor across the back in your amber tier, and use that TA along with the colors when in fire mode.
Yes, the T.A. will do that. I saw a prototype about 18 mos ago that had this function set so the TA would give you "slide right & slide left" while in either response mode ( that bar was green & blue w/ basic T.A. function. I am sure that you can do more if you are so inclined.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Pj

Post by Pj »

I believe the Whelen "Lightbar Wizard" program now covers the WeCAN bars. If your going to buy a LED lightbar, WeCAN is the way to go over all the others.

I have the WeCAN software, and its crazy with the stuff you can do with the bar...especially if its a Freedom bar.

The WeCAD (lightbar wizzard) will let you plug in all your options, and let you email/print out your specs. The only thing that I find interesting in the WeCAN software right now, is if you specify a rear T/A, it does not let you mix/match rear colors. I know you can, and I think WeCAD lets you, but the programming software does not...when means the upper and lower sections for the arrow will sequence, vs having an independant upper/lower.

What I have found, if you go into the expert mode of WeCAN, you can adjust the "phases" and make your own T/A pattern that will allow upper/lower use to mimic T/A functions. Haven't tried this in the field, but in the software, looks like you could do it.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”