2008 chevy tahoe horn ring

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

2008 chevy tahoe horn ring

Post by Jay G. »

Doing one next week. Need the horn ring wire. Any ideas where/what color to use? One site I found only said at the horn switch itself. i really dont want to take apart the steering wheel! HELP!
thanks!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Re: 2008 chevy tahoe horn ring

Post by Jay G. »

For those who need it:
Muiltipin connector with 2 rows on top behind BCM coming from the steering wheel. It unplugs then u can work on it easily.
There are 2 tan wires, one on the end and one in the middle. You want the tan wire in the middle, not the end.
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Thanks from another 2008 Tahoe guy. So, what do you get out of that tan wire when you hit the horn ring these days...ground or 12vdc? I'm going to run mine to a Whelen HHS2100 and wanted to know if I can wire directly or have to use a relay to change ground to power. Thanks again.
trackside.comms
New User
What radios do you own?: MOTOTRBO, EX600xls, LOTS MORE

Post by trackside.comms »

I would like to revise the question, does anyone know what the current draw is along with the polarity?

Is there somewhere in the Engine Compartment (outside of the Horn itself) lat has a low current version. The SS2000SM I am installing doesn't like high current. Would just assume not have to use a relay if possible.

Thanks Tons!!
Davin Vesey
Trackside Sales/Service Rep.
Racing Radios, Inc
Mooresville, NC
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Talked to the Whelen Install Shop...if you stay upstream from the horn relay (i.e. dash or prior to the fuse panel under the hood), the horn is activated by ground and is low current (milliamps). Hope this helps. I'm wiring mine this week and will find out for sure.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I find bulldogsecurity.com a good place to find out vehicle wiring information....http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.a ... &MakeID=54

Jason
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

THe location Jay is mentioning is in fact a good place to tap in as its simply a wire connection from the steering column harness contacts in the wheel to the BCM. You're not activating relays or anything else. Just finished two tahoes at this tap point with no issues. HOWEVER, make sure you properly seat the connector and snap the retainers back in otherwise it won't make proper contact and cause all sorts of funky behavior, including not starting.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”