Help with SS2000

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rangerfourever

Help with SS2000

Post by rangerfourever »

Guys we have a squad in the shop with: Vista lightbar w/Signal Master controlled by a Federal SS 2000. This weekend the lightbar quite working. The signal master works and there seems to be power to the lightbar. The siren functions etc work on the SS 2000. Question for the install guys, could it be the three position blade switch for the lightbar is bad or is there a programing issue with the SS 2000? Our mechanics have no idea how to fix it. Any help would be great as we need this squad back on the street ( ok I do it mine and I miss her LOL )

Dave
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Re: Help with SS2000

Post by kb9suy »

Make sure that the outputs of the smart siren are actually putting out 12 volts. Check internal fuses in the siren module. Make sure that the lightbars ground is properly grounded and didn't come loose. Check all fuses and circuit breakers make sure their not blown or tripped. Make sure all relays are functioning properly. I really can't tell yah unless i know how the vehicle is wired and can see it.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Slow down and work through the problem logically.

Get out your trusty VOM. Do you have power to the lightbar? Meaning, if you were to disconnect the SS2000 and wire the lightbar up to a battery/12V power supply, would it blinky? If yes, and the lightbar doesn't work, the lightbar has a problem.

If no, which wires aren't receiving 12VDC? Checked your fuses? Good grounds?

Work from the lightbar back toward the SS2000, and don't immediately assume a catastrophic failure in the SS2K.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Check the ground wire on the Vista. Since the bar is mostly plastic.( read Junk) It has a seprate 8G black ground wire from the bar, The arrow will work because it is ground side switched and controled though the SS. Its not that uncommon
EPC_1111
What radios do you own?: More than you could imagine

Post by EPC_1111 »

Do you get power to the rest of the lights (headlight flasher, strobes, gun lock, and stuff) my smart siren likes to stop putting out power to the lights and stuff, but the siren and horn ring work just fine when that happens.
antennas require holes anything else ruins performance and looks lame
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

My SS2000ss seems to have to sticky relays sometimes.

Also most recently the airhorn makes more of a "beep" sound than the actual airhorn sound... like it's only outputting one tone? Age? Wear and tear? Electronic problem? I only have one speaker so I can't change that up.

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”