LED lights under tailgate

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

LED lights under tailgate

Post by fire_master_21 »

A few of our state highway patrol trucks have a led light strip under the tailgate but above the bumper. The strip has 2 rows of lights the width of the truck bed. I took a look at the unit to try and find any id markings on it but found none. Anyone know who makes these?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jackhackett

Re: LED lights under tailgate

Post by jackhackett »

Sounds like maybe LED by the Inch by Sho-Me

http://www.able2products.com/Update/11_8300.htm
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

I think that might be it. Thanks Jack
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
n8obu
What radios do you own?: more than i can list

Post by n8obu »

thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

:lol:

......and to bring this thread BAAAAAAAAAAAAACK around to relevancy...we don't have any agencies in our area who respond with full on installs in pickups, execpt for the odd apparatus @ some rural depts who tow stuff places. I have never seen LED-by-the-inch installed under a truckbed lip as emergency warning lights, but what we do have a LOT of in our area is this stuff http://www.pickupspecialties.com/LED_li ... ht_bar.htm, which wires in as a third tail light, aux turn signal & marker lamp. I know that the LEDs in the L-B-T-I are probably higher in lumen output & would probably blind someone if it was set up as a third tail light under a truckbed, and our local inspectors would probably climb all over someone who installed them as a third tail light or turn signal, and i also don't think that the ShoMe probably doesn't have the ability to function as a Stop/Tail/Turn indicator. What i would be interested in seeing would be the above product installed in co-ordination with a brakelight flasher, as that would get the most functionality out of one product. If i had a pickup, i would be more inclined to install the stop/tail/turn as it would give me more functionality more of the time, than the couple of minutes a week i would have my emergency lights o
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

thebigphish wrote: i also don't think that the ShoMe probably doesn't have the ability to function as a Stop/Tail/Turn indicator. What i would be interested in seeing would be the above product installed in co-ordination with a brakelight flasher, as that would get the most functionality out of one product.

Wire this sucker into the LED by the Inch:
Able 2 Sho-Me LED Flasher - Stop / Turn / Tail 11.1005STT
Solid-state
Waterproof
10 flash patterns:
Tail Light - lights dim
Brake Light - lights brighten
Turn - corresponding light flashes
Strobe Flash - 7 selectable patterns similar to 11.1005SF
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

oh very nice.
thx.

simple enough solution.
" --Antonious Block
lunzac
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XPR6550, XPR7550

Post by lunzac »

i own a 2000 F150 and have the show me light by the inch installed between the bumber and tail gate and in the rear window. the tailgate segment is using 12 segments at 4" each and the rear window segment is using 12 segments at 3" each. the center 8 segments in both are amber and wired to a traffic director controller and the outer 2 segments on either side are red and have dual purposes.

I installed this setup before show me came out with its stop tail turn flasher so i had to make my own using 3 relays and a simple resistor. The cool thing about my strips is that the red segments are STT in default mode, or they flash when power is applied to the show me LED flasher i have attached to them.

Basically i have 3 relays hooked up. The outputs of the relays are wired to the following led's.
relay 1 out- segment 2 &11. Relay 1 in NC- tail light feed through resistor. Relay 1 in NO- show me led strobe flasher out 1.
relay 2 out- segment 1. Relay 2 in NC- left stop/ turn. Relay 2 NO- show me led strobe flasher out 2.
relay 3 out- segment 12. Relay 3 in NC- right stop/ turn. Relay 3 NO- show me led strobe flasher out 2.

The control for the relays is wired to the same switch as the power for the flasher so when i turn the flasher on the relays go into NO mode and thus the led flasher controlles the LEDs. when the flasher switched is not turned on the leds work in NC mode, meaning STT.

by the way i have seen several trucks with the line of fire LEDs, and even having only 8" per side of LEDs the lights by the inch are still far brighter. also as far as i have seen the line of fire does not illuminate for aditional tail lighting, only for stop/ turn.
johnsons63
New User

Post by johnsons63 »

Hello everyone. I am thinking of putting the LED light strips on my F150...not too confident to remove headlights or try open the headlight covers. Likely to just glue the strips to the top of the headlights. Saw a forum posting whereby the owner glued the LED strips. i need some advice on procedures i must do...

Thanks in advance

Post by johnsons63 »

johnsons63 wrote:Hello everyone. I am thinking of putting the LED light strips on my F150...not too confident to remove headlights or try open the headlight covers. Likely to just glue the strips to the top of the headlights. Saw a forum posting whereby the owner glued the LED strips. i need some advice on procedures i must do...

Thanks in advance

New User

Post by Iridium3 »

Hi Y'all: I bought my single row LED strip below the tailgate of my Ranger from Van Cour's of Puyallup, WA (253) 848-6331. It does brake, turn and tail. Next time I'm there I'll try to get the name of the manufacturer. PTL!
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

You guys do realize that this was a two year old thread?

Just sayin'
chinatown
New User

Post by chinatown »

The second major consideration is head placement vs. reflector. A Whelen Vertex LED mounted along the bottom edge of a housing is likely to look terrible. Mounting it where it shines into the reflector, thus illuminating the entire light housing rather than just a spot, looks much better.
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

...no, they don't. Thread-stuffers rarely do.
" --Antonious Block
youngfish
New User

Post by youngfish »

The cool thing about my strips is that the red segments are STT in default mode, or they flash when power is applied to the show me LED flasher i have attached to them.
Morgan Lamarra
New User

Post by Morgan Lamarra »

Put in a pair of Lumitec Seablaze 3 LED lights. First time out at night and I am very happy with they way they lit things up. Had a few people ask about them while on the water. Orange glow in right hand of picture is reflection of fireworks last night.
CleoGerten
New User

Post by CleoGerten »

A Whelen Vertex LED mounted along the bottom edge of a housing is likely to look terrible. Mounting it where it shines into the reflector, thus illuminating the entire light housing rather than just a spot.
Billythompson
New User

Post by Billythompson »

CleoGerten wrote:A Whelen Vertex LED mounted along the bottom edge of a housing is likely to look terrible. Mounting it where it shines into the reflector, thus illuminating the entire light housing rather than just a spot.
I have got led lights it does not look that bad
Billythompson
New User

Post by Billythompson »

Billythompson wrote:
CleoGerten wrote:A Whelen Vertex mounted along the bottom edge of a housing is likely to look terrible. Mounting it where it shines into the reflector, thus illuminating the entire light housing rather than just a spot.
I have got led lights it does not look that bad
What is your view about led lights

Mod note: I went ahead and removed the stealth link you put in there for SEO. Please don't do this again. If you have something useful to contribute, go right ahead. -escomm
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

This topic is being locked as I can see that it is starting to get off topic ( I deleted a post ) and it originated years ago. Let it go.

Jaosn

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”