ML900 Battery issue

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wd4llq
New User

ML900 Battery issue

Post by wd4llq »

Bought a new battery and installed it. However, the charge indicator shows yellow for about 30 seconds and goes green. The most Ive seen is 15% charge. This is the second replacement battery. The first was warranted out when it didnt work either.
I'm suspecting the "smart part" of the battery isn't talking to the CPU. Is this a propietary battery?

I deleted the battery driver from the device manager and let it find it again in case it was corrupted but still no go. I cant even trickle charge the battery from a bench supply, i guess it needs a data burst to turn fully on to take a charge of give it up. My original battery worked better for a while but is now totaly done.

Any ideas to get this sucker to charge?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: ML900 Battery issue

Post by Pj »

Where did you buy this new?

The non-Motorola ones are EMC-202 battery's and usually get around 2 hours give or take. Battery life isn't that great when the fan runs all the time and the heat builds up.

Also want to make sure you have the correct charger for the laptop so its outputting good amps to charge the battery.

I suspect that these are suspect generic batteries?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wd4llq
New User

Post by wd4llq »

The battery came from Batteries Plus. At this point Im not sure what throttles the charge to the battery pack. I suspect its the circuit in the pack, but its also likley that it gets a "turn-on" signal from the PC. I believe the battery volts, charge, temp, curent, etc is monitored within the pack. Perhaps the PC only sends basic power and its up to the battery to stop when charged (or start).
In any event, the yellow charge lite on the PC stays on with no battery installed and only stayed lit for about 20 seconds or so with the pack installed. At this point I'm interested in finding another battery (a "done one") just to see if the charger will try longer than 20 or 30 seconds. It may be the BatteryPlus generic everReady computer batterys wont work. The PC works fine other than that other than an ocasional USB detection of a mystery port.
Any pearl of wisdom is warmly welcome.

The charger is MSL AC ADCO19 m-m adaptor 19V 6.3 Amp
Pj

Post by Pj »

Worse case if its the power board, I have a nib one in a closet somewhere. $50. That's what I paid for it from getac.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Post by Pj »

I looked up the Batteries Plus specs...

They show:
Voltage: 10.8V
Capacity: 6000MAH

The Motorola "orignal" batteries are 11.1v as 7200mah.

But

$80 vs $300 for a battery is a big deal for most people.

I don't recall the "offical" (if any) specs for the 202 battery.
johnhale
New User

Post by johnhale »

Please can anyone tell me the source to get some good batteries.
Timeport
New User

Post by Timeport »

Sorry bro, this is a common problem with these generic batteries. What works for sure:

Genuine Duracell DR202 (no longer manufuactured)
Motorola ML900 / ML910 genuine batteries
Getac V100 batteries
MOLICEL batteries (for Getac V100)
free Motorola ML900 drivers: http://motorola-online.com/pages/motoro ... ged-laptop

Motorola ML910 spare parts (incl. HDD caddy): http://www.motorola-online.com/pages/mo ... overs-etc.

Please visit my Motorola collection at http://www.motorola-online.com.

OS on ML900s:
Win XP, SuSE Linux (internal HDD), Slax Linux (USB stick), Windows XP Embedded ( USB HDD inside), Win 7 Professional.

OS on ML910s:
Win XP and Windows 7 Ultimate
z16autocross
New User

Post by z16autocross »

So I too am having a battery issue with my ML910. I purchase a pair of Molicel ME202C which is 11.1v and 7200ah. The battery charges fine with a bench power supply. However it will not charge in the laptop. I am able to run the laptop fine without the battery using the power supply and i am able to run the laptop off of the battery. It just wont take a charge when in the laptop. I have deleted the battery driver in windows xp and reinstalled. My power supply cord is a Channel Well Technology 12v 5A unit. So thoughts on what to try next? Someone mentioned the power supply cord should be a 19V 6.3A. Is that correct? Should i try and find the updated version of bios? I saw that there is newer version available.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Your aftermarket power supply is too small

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”