Where to get MW520 drivers, etc.?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kanabecsys

Where to get MW520 drivers, etc.?

Post by kanabecsys »

Hello all!

Now that Moto seems to have axed all their on-line sources of information and software for the MW520 terminals, where can a person get the drivers and other proprietary software (vRCH, etc) needed to make such a machine work properly? Is there a mirror somewhere? Someone with an extra set of discs for sale? Some number I could call at Moto to get them for free or at a reasonable cost?

Keith
kanabecsys - short for Kanabec Systems, of course!
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I have the vRCH software, but as for the rest of the MW520 stuff i don't have it or a source for it. I think we need to compile this stuff together somewhere, maybe make a page for the MW520 on batlabs.

I'm looking for the same stuff, so if anyone has a source for all the drivers and software needed for the MW520 let me know as well. I have a guy bugging me to get his 520 up and running.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
ve6sdb

Post by ve6sdb »

I am also looking for drivers for the mw520. I cannot find them any where. I have the hard drive with some stuff on it as soon as I can crack the codes to get into it(locked up tighter then a, ya know) I will gladly share or put on a page.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=45238

A couple of guys in that thread claim to have the drivers.. might be worth a PM or two.

I've given some thought to getting one too and setting it up to run either scanner software or Winamp. What do they have in the way of peripherals, and do they use standard notebook RAM or some proprietary BS?
kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

motorola_otaku wrote:I've given some thought to getting one too and setting it up to run either scanner software or Winamp. What do they have in the way of peripherals, and do they use standard notebook RAM or some proprietary BS?
The board design is proprietary, as is the interface for the display and keyboard/trackpad unit. But it takes standard laptop RAM and hard drives, has regular PCMCIA and CF slots, and offers standard DB9 serial, DB25 parallel, and (on newer models) USB ports. It also has standard miniplug sound in/out ports.

My units are the bare-bones basic ones (120MHz without USB), so I can't really get my hopes up in the AV department. But if I could just remember what make of laptop I saw that style of processor module in, I might be going somewhere.

Not that Mother M would be eager to tell me how to re-clock their boards... :)

EDIT: broken tag fixed
OFCDANIEL

MW-520 DRIVERS

Post by OFCDANIEL »

WELL THATS A TOUCHY SUBJECT WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET WHAT SYSTEM AND WHICH MODEL IE....DOES IT HAVE A USB PORT ON THE CAN? AND WHAT'S ON THERE NOW? HAVE DRIVER AND I CAN LOAD XP ON SOME OF THE MODELS, I PROGRAMED OUR TASK FORCES MDT'S SWITCH OVER FROM 98 TO XP....IT'S TRICKY BUT IT CAN BE DONE...

LET ME KNOW
248-240-0205
OFC DANIEL
kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

OFCDANIEL wrote:WELL THATS A TOUCHY SUBJECT WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO GET WHAT SYSTEM AND WHICH MODEL IE....DOES IT HAVE A USB PORT ON THE CAN? AND WHAT'S ON THERE NOW? HAVE DRIVER AND I CAN LOAD XP ON SOME OF THE MODELS, I PROGRAMED OUR TASK FORCES MDT'S SWITCH OVER FROM 98 TO XP....IT'S TRICKY BUT IT CAN BE DONE...

LET ME KNOW
248-240-0205
OFC DANIEL
Don't know about anybody else, but mine are 5201A's and B's. Right now one has Win98 installed (by means of removing the drive from the MDT, inserting in a laptop, installing Windoze, and putting the drive back in the MDT), and the other presently has no drive installed in it. The video and sound work OK, but all the proprietary stuff is lacking drivers and thus disabled.

Too bad the Linux "option" was so rarely seen... I'd jump at the chance to get my hands on the software Moto was bundling with that package.
OFCDANIEL

MW-520 DRIVER RESPONSE

Post by OFCDANIEL »

WELL THAT I THOUHT WOULD WORK ALSO, I HIGH DISAGREE WITH YOU DOING THAT, I HAVE DEMO'D ALOT OF MDT'S FROM OEM MIRCO SOL TO 911 DATA. PLEASE DON'T CHANGE HARD DRIVE I HAVE THE DRIVERS THAT NEED TO BE INSTALLED PRIOR TO CHANGING THE HARD DRIVE. THE BAIS NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED OR CHANGED SAFTY PRECAUTIONS HAVE BE INSTALLED INTO THE BOARD TO STOP FROM THIS HAPPENING.
I HAVE WIN 2000 AND XP FOR THE MW-520'S THAT I HAVE REWROTE THE BAIS FOR AND IT WORKS PERFECT. BUT LOOK AT THE BACK OF THE CAN IF THERE IS A USB PORT, YOUR GOOD TO GO. THE OTHER MODELS DO NOT HAVE THIS PORT AND CAN NOT BE CHANGED BECAUSE THEY HAVE 32 TO 64 MG AND THAT CAN'T BE CHANGED.
NOW THE ONES WITH THE USB PORT HAVE 128 OF RAM AND THE HARD DRIVES DON'T REALLY NEED TO BE CHANGED THEY ARE PARITIONED DOWN TO 2G AND HAVE A 6-10G HARD DRIVE. SO REPLACING THE HARD DRIVE WON'T WORK. THE ABOVE CHANGE OVER TOOK ME A MNTH TO DO THOUGH TRIAL AND ERROR.

CALL ME I CAN EXPLAIN ALOT EASIER, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO MAIL YOU WHAT YOU NEED

OFC DANIEL
248-240-0205
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Can you please turn OFF your caps lock key when posting.

It's increadably rude - not to mention hard to read.

Thanks.

-Alex

(we'll just delete the next one in all caps!)
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

kanabecsys wrote: Right now one has Win98 installed (by means of removing the drive from the MDT, inserting in a laptop, installing Windoze, and putting the drive back in the MDT), and the other presently has no drive installed in it. The video and sound work OK, but all the proprietary stuff is lacking drivers and thus disabled.
So are you saying that Win98 supports the video and audio natively? I could stand not having the one-touch buttons on the monitor, as long as the video and audio worked (i.e. the video doesn't default to 640 x 480.. btw, what is the screen resolution on these things?) and the peripherals work.
kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

motorola_otaku wrote:So are you saying that Win98 supports the video and audio natively? I could stand not having the one-touch buttons on the monitor, as long as the video and audio worked (i.e. the video doesn't default to 640 x 480.. btw, what is the screen resolution on these things?) and the peripherals work.
It does support the sound and video, but none of the other fancy schtuff. The resolution is 800x600, and can do 16-bit color (if I had the color display). The sound works, but is a bit jumpy.

I suppose that my description before wasn't quite accurate - when I pulled the drive and put it in the laptop, I simply did a 'format /s' on it and copied the entire cabs directory from the Win98 CD onto it. The actual setup proceedure took place on the 520.

And no, these do not have USB. They're the earliest model - came stock with 16MB of RAM, which I upgraded to 32MB (not sure how high they'll go).
OFCDANIEL

Caps locks turned off

Post by OFCDANIEL »

No problem.

Ofc Daniel
I DO WANTED VEHICLES FOR THE CIRCUIT AND FEDERAL COURT IN DETROIT. I'M ALSO THE I.T GUY FOR OUR TASK FORCE, DOING THE SET UP OF MDT'S RADIO AND LIGHTS IN ALL OF OUR VEHICLES WE USE. CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP
THANKS
OFC DANIEL
OFCDANIEL

For Kanabec systems

Post by OFCDANIEL »

Unfortunily the mdt you have can't be upgraded because of the mother board, and ram only being 32 max. You could load drivers but, anything you try to run like ie.. gps, or other software are going to run like a turle.

I think you have enough to support win 2000 but, not xp.

You will have to load by pcmcia card hot swap.
you can also install a bigger hard drive but, as you know that won't solve your problems.
Also you can use a pcmcia cardbus with usb plugs built in once you get it running for more convience. The last ones made can be upgraded to 256 those cans are easy to spot by the usb port on the back. They come with 128 standard.

Hope i was able to help

Ofc Daniel
I DO WANTED VEHICLES FOR THE CIRCUIT AND FEDERAL COURT IN DETROIT. I'M ALSO THE I.T GUY FOR OUR TASK FORCE, DOING THE SET UP OF MDT'S RADIO AND LIGHTS IN ALL OF OUR VEHICLES WE USE. CONTACT ME IF I CAN HELP
THANKS
OFC DANIEL
barlowguy

MW 520 Drivers

Post by barlowguy »

Hey guys I have the drivers from Motorola's old web page on CR-ROM
Let me know where to send them.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

barlowguy wrote:Hey guys I have the drivers from Motorola's old web page on CR-ROM
Let me know where to send them.
Save them into one file folder, compress the folder using either Winzip or WinRar, go to RapidShare, and follow their prompts for uploading a file. When you get the download link, post it here. :D
barlowguy

Motorola MW-520 Drivers & TX Messenger 3.5 Update

Post by barlowguy »

http://rapidshare.de/files/17388240/MW- ... s.zip.html

This Should help you fellow MW-520 owners.

Barlowguy
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

I hate to revive an old thread, but I am hoping someone is still subscribed. Is there any chance someone could reupload the drivers? I have a 520 with 64mb of ram, right now everything works on it, but I really want to move to 98 at least, or win2k, so that I can get usb support (it doesn't have usb, but I have a pcmcia > usb card)

Also, there is a mw520 maintenance program on the desktop of this one, does anyone know the password for 'technician' mode?
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

No problem. http://rapidshare.de/files/34538416/MW- ... s.zip.html

Since yours is the no-USB version and is therefore stuck with 64 MB of RAM, I wouldn't try to go any higher than Win98SE. Even that is going to run slower than creeping bullfrog Jesus.
mikeh

Post by mikeh »

Thanks, got them...actually posting this from the said 520.. I may just use 95osr2, that will give me usb, but i am considering linux...if i could get the touch screen to work.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

motorola_otaku wrote:No problem. http://rapidshare.de/files/34538416/MW- ... s.zip.html

Since yours is the no-USB version and is therefore stuck with 64 MB of RAM, I wouldn't try to go any higher than Win98SE. Even that is going to run slower than creeping bullfrog Jesus.
Resurection #3 - 01/05/07

Somebody got them saved? Site is "full" and I'm needed to revive mine for a Winlink 2000 project.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
spareparts
Batboard $upporter

Post by spareparts »

They made room by deleting the file. "File not found" Anyone??
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Looking for the Win98 or the Win2000 drivers
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

:

Post by Jim2121 »

kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

Just dug 'em up. Who wants to host them (10mb tarred/gzipped file)?
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Sweet. By chance, can you email direct if someone can't host?
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
kanabecsys

Post by kanabecsys »

007 wrote:Sweet. By chance, can you email direct if someone can't host?
If it's only going to be a couple of people, then yeah, I'd be fine with emailing it. Send me a PM if you'd like to do it that way.
indykid

Post by indykid »

Hello I am new here and Have had a mw520 for a couple of months (bought the one ofcdaniel was using, had his emails on it) and It has a 333mhz p2 in it with 128mb ram and is running windows 98. Now this unit does not have anything besides windows 98 and the elo touch installed and working. I am wondering what software or drivers I am missing from the unit? Also I think the hard drive is dying in it too as it likes to make a noise like its a record (vinyl) thats skipping. btw I can host those files for you if you can send them my way ieoa@sbcglobal.net is the email address that way we will never have a problem of finding them again.

Thanks

Max
Pj

Post by Pj »

Sounds like the 5203x model. Basically, if you have working sounds, and touchscreen, your most likely good to go. Most of the "internal" motherboard stuff is pretty standard.

The boot off of USB is not supported very well. I can boot from a USB floppy, but then it gets stupid after a couple of minutes. I have yet been able to boot off of a CD via USB.

The 5205x model does seem to support it well.

What is it not doing that you want it to do?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
indykid

Post by indykid »

it all works except the sounds now, I went ahead and let the system find new hardware and it did and the sound stopped working. we used to have a older mwthat was p120 and it had some diagnostic tools that came with it but this one does not. also windows 98 se supposidly has support for flash drives (thumb drives) but its having a issue of actually installing it right. The drivers for those are there but it says it can start the pccard.vdx thingy. Once I find more ram and another hd for the unit I am going to install winxp pro on to it.
Pj

Post by Pj »

WinXP Pro does work nicely on a 5205 and 5203. I have the sound drivers for the 5203/5. They are pretty simple.

As for thumbdrives, make sure you install the correct ones from the manufacutres. Many are actually made by PNY and you need the correct ones. USB works great on both of mine, except for boot up on the 03 as stated above.

My only problem with WinXP on the 520 (so far) is that it will not see my Verizon V620 wiresless card. It sees all the other PC card I have used with no problem, but XP and VZW does not get along. Win98SE works with it, so I am thinking a device driver issue for XP.
indykid

Post by indykid »

Okay that answers my question about the thumb drive lol. Once I am able to figure out where to get me pc 66 ram at for this unit I will be good to go. xp is one of my fav OS's.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

New driver downloads:

Rapidshare - http://rapidshare.com/files/16309452/MW ... s.zip.html

MegaUpload - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZB2KTPET

I don't mind re-uploading these when the links die, but I don't venture into the computers forum much so I don't always see the requests. If you need 'em, best way to get 'em is to PM me.

Of course, someone with a permanent hosting solution could always perma-host them and make life easier. *hinthint*
indykid

Post by indykid »

I am up to hosting them perma
kg4lmt

Post by kg4lmt »

I'll host them. ftp://kg4lmt.org
motorola_otaku

Re: Where to get MW520 drivers, etc.?

Post by motorola_otaku »

Had another request for drivers: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZY6FMAA5

Have I mentioned that I've never personally used or tried these? This is just a copy of the original copy posted waaaay back in this thread, so YMMV.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”