Missing Disk Space????

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Missing Disk Space????

Post by rrfd43 »

I have a windows 2000 server running with a c and d disk, originall a 10 gig, with the two partitions. the c disk has windows on it and very basic program files. all data stored elsewhere. The disk is 6 gig, with 850 meg free. when you add up all the used folder space it only adds up to just under 3 gig. Where could the missing two gig of "used" space be? I can't find any files or folders that take up this 2 gig on the drive.

The page file is set to 1.2 g, but is recomened at 1.5 g.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

go to control panel
Administrative tools
computer management
storage
disk management
That should show you the unaloctated space.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

the drive has 2.93 g of used space, 694 m of free, and a total drive space of 5.66. the total used is 4.6 so about 1 gig is floating in I don't know where.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

what filesystem? and does anyone remember if win2k tied up hibernate data in a block file like XP did?
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

NTSF.
MotoMax300
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by MotoMax300 »

NTFS,

run scandisk and defrag, that will rule out unalocated disk space.

Its probably in a temp file somewhere.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

tried that.. needs 15% free, only have 12%. PIA thingy!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Download "ccleaner", install & run. It's an excellent program. That'll either clear out the mystery files that are taking up your space, or maybe at least clear enough out to allow you to run defrag & checkdisk.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It also has a built-in registry cleaner, which I've found to be very good, though not in the league of Registry Mechanic or similar. If you're going to use that option, create a back up first.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

nice software wave! gave me an extra 1gig

before that I used track eraser.....big mistake! Jim
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

wavetar

Post by Jim2121 »

Todd, on your post re: http://www.ccleaner.com/ this software. I like it. Theres no help file... If you used it in the past.... do you recall what the Tools icon is for? Looks like it brings up all my Program Files? heres a reminder screenshot: http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/?6 anything?
Adam

Re: Missing Disk Space????

Post by Adam »

rrfd43 wrote:I have a windows 2000 server running with a c and d disk, originall a 10 gig, with the two partitions. the c disk has windows on it and very basic program files. all data stored elsewhere. The disk is 6 gig, with 850 meg free. when you add up all the used folder space it only adds up to just under 3 gig. Where could the missing two gig of "used" space be? I can't find any files or folders that take up this 2 gig on the drive.

The page file is set to 1.2 g, but is recomened at 1.5 g.
Read this: Why your hard drive isn't as big as it says it is.
rrfd43

Post by rrfd43 »

Tried the ccleaner. Made a little space. I think it is just time for a new disk, this old one is working on borrowed time....

Thanks all for the help!
wavetar
Administrator

Re: wavetar

Post by wavetar »

Jim2121 wrote:Todd, on your post re: http://www.ccleaner.com/ this software. I like it. Theres no help file... If you used it in the past.... do you recall what the Tools icon is for? Looks like it brings up all my Program Files? heres a reminder screenshot: http://www.ccleaner.com/help/tour/?6 anything?
The "uninstall" tool basically lets you uninstall programs just like when you go into the standard Windows 'Add/remove programs' in the Control Panel. It also allows you to delete items from the uninstall list, which is handy when a program uninstalls & for some reason it remains in the list.

The "startup" tool lets you see what programs are active on startup of your computer, and gives you the option of disabling them. This is the same functionality you find in the standard Windows "msconfig" program. Very handy if your computer is slow to boot up because there's a couple dozen programs loading into memory when there should really only be a few.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Jim2121
Batboard $upporter

:

Post by Jim2121 »

Yea Todd I did some reading, I come up with the same thing of course. except I have a Add/Remove Program Cleaner, for the programs that are stuck in Program Files. As for startup, I fixed that a while back with msconfig.
Anyhow I downloaded IE7 on two laptops, (even though I use opera.) Then I ran the CCleaner and when it was over, I had 4 gig's of more free space on my dell 5150 & 3.5 gig's free space on my 2200 dell? I must have had a lot of junk in IE6, instructions said do not uninstall IE6 just dump IE7 on top.... fair browser, I like the tabs feature....
I'll be interested in any comments on others using IE7 -- don't know if we should post here, just some brief comments, or over at the lounge.

Anyway thanks for sending us that CCleaner tool... I sent it to a dozen people now... all good reports....... later Jim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I've used IE7 in my Windows Vista Beta build. I also like the tabs, but tabs have been available for years now in Firefox & others. I still use Firefox as I believe it to be more secure than IE 6, at least. For the record, Firefox worked perfectly in my Vista build as well.

Todd

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”