CF-25 notebook...NEED USB support...is it possible?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

AEC
No Longer Registered

CF-25 notebook...NEED USB support...is it possible?

Post by AEC »

Greetings!!

I just got a nice Panasonic CF-25 Toughbook, but the one thing I would love to have, is USB support, so I tried my adaptor/jump drive in the PS-2 port on the side and ...NADA!

I suspected as much (or little).

Is there some other method of making or accessing the required connections that will act/support a USB device internal to the CF-25?

I don't want more dongles, but if I need to make a port in the rear or side to gain access to something 'doable', I'd love to hear about it.

Mine is dual boot, DOS 6.22 and Winblows 98...
64 MB ram, 3.8GB H.D with PCMCIA CD-ROM...NO garbage 56K modem cards thankfully.

Winblows has been scaled down as much as I can as I hate bloatware, not to mention it runs far faster without all that added crap as well.

I would just love to have some way to support/use USB devices :roll:
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's not exactly what you're looking for, but is a PCMCIA USB card out of the question? You can find them fairly cheap nowadays.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: CF-25 notebook...NEED USB support...is it possible?

Post by thebigphish »

[quote="AEC"I just got a nice Panasonic CF-25 Toughbook, but the one thing I would love to have, is USB support, so I tried my adaptor/jump drive in the PS-2 port on the side and ...NADA!

I suspected as much (or little).[/quote]
Right, of course. I assume you mean you took one of those keyboard/mouse to USB adaptors and plugged you jump drive in to the PS/2 port?
AEC wrote:I would just love to have some way to support/use USB devices :roll:
sheesh, on win98? is it 98 or famous brother 98se?

PCMCIA card....If your cf-25 has it, you are golden.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

YEP!

Have PCMCIA......Guess that's the best route.

Actually, the PS-2 mouse port was 'probed' with a cable and scope....THEN I plugged in the PS-2/USB adaptor....TWO DOLLARS!

I don't mind the playing, but when I want it on the cheap.....

I hope the computer can handle TWO active PCMCIA cards running simultaneously...have yet to attempt this with the CF-25, but I am about to find out.

Thanks for the assistance!

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”