New computer

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KB9LR

New computer

Post by KB9LR »

We need a new computer. I see all of the new ones do not have a com port. We have dozens of dos prog and windows prog that we use daily with an IBM Thinkpad. I understand that I will have to make it a dual boot with win98 etc. but what about no com port. I am a radio person and not a computer geek though they are getting closer to being the same all the time. I have read some of the other posts but what is my best option. I don't want to spend all of my time trying this and that. I want plug-n-play!!!! What are my best options. Owner's son brought over an Acer but it has a usb to com port adapter. Have a few days to decide about it. Need suggestions.
Jim202

Re: New computer

Post by Jim202 »

There are still a few computers out there with a 9
pin com port. You just have to look carefully. I
bought a computer about 3 months ago and the 9
pin com port was my number one reason for the one
I picked.

Try going to some of the more common stores and
looking at what they have. You can look at Bets Buy,
Circuit City, Comp USA and the likes. The other
option you need is to have a floppy drive available.
These are starting to become almost as big a problem.

I still am from the old core of people that like the
option of booting with a floppy when needed.
Although, I have broken down and started to use a
memory stick or what ever you may call them this
week. They make for a simple way of moving files
from one computer to another. Unlike a floppy, they
can be had to hold a pile of data.

Jim
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

You don't say what you mean by a "com port"

I'll assume you mean old fashioned DB9 serial

You don't say whether you'll get a laptop or a desktop

However, in either case, you have a good chance of getting either a PCI slot card for a desktop

(such as http://www.pcimicro.com/.sc/ms/dd/10994 ... ler%20card ) , or a PCMCIA card for a laptop,

(as in http://www.coolgear.com/PCMCIA_RS-232_Serial.cfm )

which will provide a legitimate serial port.

I'd make a list of probable computer models, and contact support to make sure they look compatible, and look around to make SURE that you can install a compatible serial card. I'd stay away from "USB converters"

The other thing is, you said "we need a new computer."

WHY? If the old one is doing it's job for radio programming, why replace it? Just keep it for that job alone, or if it's broke (I assume it's a Thinkpad?) You can find lots of used ones on eBay, as well as parts you can use for repair. I still to this day have several old Thinkpads, including a 2 360XX series (486-66), 2 600X's, and an old 510 series. This doesn't include several others, of varying quality and condition. I just picked up a nice little Comcrap 486 without power supply for FIVE BUCKS. It booted right up into Winhozed95.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

The problem with PCMCIA cards is that none of the current makes/models work in DOS, which he stated he requires. I assume it's a laptop he requires, as he's currently using a thinkpad.

You can still find units with serial ports, but you have to pay more for them. We just bought several HP units with com ports on the right side of the laptop, as opposed to the back.

Otherwise keeping the Thinkpad as a dedicated programming-only unit is a good bet as well.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”