Will Pocket PC/Windows Mobile sync with Mac OS X?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Fuel4300
Batboard $upporter

Will Pocket PC/Windows Mobile sync with Mac OS X?

Post by Fuel4300 »

As more and more people seem to be jumping off the nextel ship there is becoming much less of a need for me to put up with nextel service and so I am in the market for a new phone.

I have been seriously considering getting a pda/smartphone b/c my pda is getting up there in years (4+) and is due for an upgrade. The one I have now is running Palm OS which I was never thrilled with so I am looking to try one that runs windows mobile.

I have read lots of reviews online but I cant see to find an answer: will a smartphone running WM 5 sync with my Powerbook over bluetooth?

The two phones I have been looking at are the Treo 700wx (Sprint) and the Motorola Q (Verizon).

Thanks,

Mike
alex
Administrator

Re: Will Pocket PC/Windows Mobile sync with Mac OS X?

Post by alex »

Fuel4300 wrote:As more and more people seem to be jumping off the nextel ship there is becoming much less of a need for me to put up with nextel service and so I am in the market for a new phone.

I have been seriously considering getting a pda/smartphone b/c my pda is getting up there in years (4+) and is due for an upgrade. The one I have now is running Palm OS which I was never thrilled with so I am looking to try one that runs windows mobile.

I have read lots of reviews online but I cant see to find an answer: will a smartphone running WM 5 sync with my Powerbook over bluetooth?

The two phones I have been looking at are the Treo 700wx (Sprint) and the Motorola Q (Verizon).

Thanks,

Mike
Keep in mind - there is a huge difference between windows mobile (the treo 700wx) and windows smart phone (Q).

I have had a 700w for almost a year now - it crashes about as much as I would expect, but it works well, and I can't complain.

Look at a program called "the missing sync" for the mac. I believe that'll play active sync.

-Alex
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

I just picked up a Samsung SGH-I607 (BlackJack). It runs WM 5.0 just fine. It's similar to the Motorola "Q" as far as form factor and function (actually a little smaller ;-).

Alex raises a good point; There's a big difference between the "Q" and Treo. I wanted a device that was a phone at heart, but included email, internet browsing and good PIM function. I'm VERY happy with the blackjack/WM 5.0

If you're looking for a phone with moderate PDA function, get the "Q" I you want a stylus and the ability to edit MS word docs. and so fourthm get the Treo 700W.

Side Note:
I can log in and browse batlabs, but my phone will NOT let me post. I originally wrote this same post on my phone, but it never got past that. I don't know how WM 5.0 smartphones handle PHP.

Could you shed some light on this Alex? Or any others who browse with their mobile devices.

I'm an Apple nut and use my Mac for everything, save for CPS (not for long though; USB 5K cable here I come)

-Mike
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

The smartphone interface of Windows Mobile 5 is just a "lite" version of the operating system. When buying a phone that has some PDA functionality you have to consider what your needs are. The major differences are mainly the interfaces. The Treo has the typical PDA touchscreen and the Q and similar has a Blackberry-like interface without a touchscreen.

I have the Q (see sidenote below) and I love it. But my needs are fairly simple. E-mail, Calendar, and some basic internet. So the Q is a decent fit for me. If you need more functionality, the a Treo or something with the full PDA version of WM5 is what you need.

As far as being able to post here (or any other PHPBB for that matter) is the Smartphone version of WM5 is "missing" pieces that prevent it. I don't remember if it's javascript or what, but the best I can tell you can't change that, yet. qusers.com is a decent site for the Q in general.

Sidenote: When I first got the Q and the extended battery... the battery life on it SUCKED. And mean sucked with a capital S. There was a software update that came out just recently that seems to have fixed a lot of that problem. I did the software update and I went 4 days before it went down to half battery level.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

There's a reason the BlackJack comes with two batteries...I used the phone in Oregon on the edge network and had much better battery life. I'm back home in Seattle (Full 3G HSDPA all the time) it wipes the battery out in 6 hours flat!

I've used a few Smartphones (MPX200, MPX220) They've all had mediocre battery performance.

Thanks for the quick answer JAYMZ. I'll keep my eyes peeled on HOFO and QUSERS.

-Mike
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

You should be able to read and post on the Q - I read and write PM's and such on the treo all the time when I'm out...

I've even banned users from it :)

Regardless - PHP is a server side scripting language, and it is parsed by the server - not my the phone. All the phone gets is the HTML pages.

Since James has a Q, maybe he can elaborate.

Also - I know that when I'm at my parents house - my treo bounces between 1x and EvDO all the time - and that eats battery like it's going out of style. When I'm home and in a full-service no matter where I go type of location, battery life is great.

-Alex
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

If you're a Mac user, a Windows Mobile device is not the device to get.

Sure, you can get apps to sync with a mac, that work kinda reliably. Most PPC apps you download off the net etc require a Windows machine to install, so you'd hardly be getting your money's worth out of the device.
Last edited by mr.syntrx on Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeOxlong

Post by MikeOxlong »

Try PocketMac. They have a number of solutions for syncing portable devices on Mac's.

http://www.pocketmac.net
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I did a little looking around. Pocket IE on the Q is missing several Document Object Modules (DOM) that prevent posting to a PHPBB. There is a $30 solution out there that is a mod for PHPBB2 to allow for mobile reading and posting.

Food for thought... alex :D
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
mikegilbert

Post by mikegilbert »

JAYMZ wrote:... alex
HEHE.

I'll pony up $10 via paypal.
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

I've used PocketMac since version 1 and the Dell Axim X5, through the X3i and I've had my X50v for two years now.

It works fine for daily syncing. I do it once every two days-ish with Entourage and it syncs all my contacts, and calendar items. I use the PocketPC in the car mainly as a GPS navigator (Mapopolis) and MP3 player (Conduit Pocket Player) The x50v screen is 640x480 and I must say it's very nice. It's a transflective screen and it works great during the day and at night.

A few quirks as mentioned before you CAN install programs with PocketMac but it doesn't work with all .EXE installers. If you install with a .CAB file, the default place is in main memory which is a no-no. Always install to built-in memory. Not only is it non-volatile, it's only slow to write to it not read, and it'll make your PocketPC go faster as it has more main memory to use.

FWIW, PocketMac will be fine for daily use. When you want to install programs, use your PC like you're doing with CPS. After all, it's a Microsoft thing.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”