CF-25 and m1225 cps

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

CF-25 and m1225 cps

Post by fire_master_21 »

At work we have a toughbook 25 with m1225 cps on it. The dept. got a grant and got a new laptop that I am putting all our radio stuff on. The cd rom doen't work on the TB and niether does the floppy, and the modem will not work any more either. This thing has seen better days by far. My chief doesn't want to pay for the CPS again from "M" however I need to get this cps on the new laptop as I am sure that the TB will not last much longer and all the station radios are all m1225's. I am by no means a computer guy, with that said what are my options of moving the CPS.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Does it have any eithernet jacks? You can always get an adaptor for a pcmicia (or whatever it's called) slot to an eithernet jack.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter

Post by fire_master_21 »

no jacks on this thing. can you use the serial port for something like this?
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

What O/S is on the TB? If it's Win98SE, under start/programs/accessories/communications there might be something called "direct cable connection". It doesn't install by default with 98, so you may not see it. If it's there, you can use a serial or parallel cable connection to network to another computer. I've used it many times in the past, works great.

So I take it the original install disks aren't sitting in a drawer somewhere? You can't simply transfer the contents of the 1225 folder into another computer & expect it to work...there's a ton of DLL, OCX & other files which get installed to the system/32 directory(s).

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter

Post by fire_master_21 »

thanks Todd I will give it a go. I haven't been able to find the disks anywhere. I am sure once I get this moved over they will turn up it never fails.
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

There are lots of ways to approach this, some more trouble than others.

There are transfer programs, including the mentioned "Direct Connection" mentioned in Winhozed98, as well as others, that work over several kinds of cables. There are some for Infra Red, too

Some of these programs will work with a serial "null modem" cable, either for the serial port or parallel port. They are known variously as "null modem", data transfer, direct connect, Laplink, PCanywhere, and a few other names.

A network card is of course an option.

However, if you have a desktop you can open up, here's another way:

Buy one of these:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... JAodZmUYrQ

which will allow you to put the old hard drive into a desktop as a temporary slave. Then you can copy to your heart's content, and burn what you want to a CD

Last, if you just have a very few files, believe it or not, many ordinary dialup modems will connect through an ordinary terminal program like Whinehozed own Hyperterminal, with nothing more than a cable between them.

You have t o configure Hypertermial to "talk" to the modems, so that you can use commands to call them off hook. It IS slow.

Still another approach, IF you no longer want to use the old computer, is to simply buy an external hard drive bay that will hookup to the new machine. I've got a bay around here (older) that hooks to a PCMCIA slot, and I can read that on the oldest Thinkpad I've got, to the newest. Of course you can use a USB enclosure, too.
HumHead

Post by HumHead »

It is actually possible to transfer files using nothing more than a serial null modem cable, and Hyperterminal, which includes a file transfer utility.

You just have to deal with moving files one at a time, which is not a whole lot of fun.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

wow...zModem flashbacks...

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”