Can you load DOS into a MAC?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

twowaytekk

Can you load DOS into a MAC?

Post by twowaytekk »

I'm looking at using a MAC to use as a programming laptop. I just need to get DOS loaded so I can install the radio SW. Should there be any problems with this?

Mark
bellersley
No Longer Registered

Post by bellersley »

You can get DOS to load on a mac, however I doubt very much you would be able to program with it. There might be some software apps that might make it work though.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

DOS will run, but I really wouldn't recommend using it for a programming machine. It has no serial ports, and I personally haven't seen a USB serial adaptor with a DOS driver. Keep an old PC laptop around.
DaBigBR

Post by DaBigBR »

In addition to what has already been said, you most certainly won't get direct memory access with it, even if you overcome all of the other problems. Just go find an old laptop.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: Can you load DOS into a MAC?

Post by HLA »

i havn't been able to get a mac to do anything with a radio connected to it. i've tried older macs running virtual pc and even a new mac running windows, they will run the programs but new macs are the same as most new laptop pc's they don't have a real serial connector on it.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

The 2500/5000 platform radios program w/out issue on the Mac using bootcamp.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
ems-280
New User

Post by ems-280 »

I currently use a Mac for programming radios.
I purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac which allows me to install any OS from MS-DOS to Windows 3.1 and anything up to Windows Vista. I also have a USB to Serial adapter, and Parallels makes it a COM port and Windows picks it up as a regular COM3 serial port.

Currently, i am running Windows 2000 in Parallels on my Mac to program using CPS R06.05.03. I have programmed CDM's, HT750's, HT1250's, EX500's, and EX600's with it. I have had no problems programming these radios. Since Windows detects the USB to Serial adapter as a regular COM port, i have had no problems with uploading and downloading codeplugs to/from radios.

I have not tried this with DOS on a mac yet. I am actually going to try programming a GP300 in DOS on my MacBook using Parallels Desktop and the USB to Serial adapter. I'm thinking since Windows 2000 picks it up as a regular COM port because that's what Parallels tells it it is, MS-DOS shouldn't have a problem either. I'll let y'all know tomorrow when i've done it, if it works or not. I'm thinking it'll probably work fine.

-Parker

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”