Problem w/ computer when I get on Batlabs please read....

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

Problem w/ computer when I get on Batlabs please read....

Post by jrm5265 »

Im not computer savy ok so lets get that out in the open right off the bat

Ive been having problems for about last 2 monthst with this

Ill be on Batlabs and while Im on Batlabs or right after I get off all of a sudden I get one right after another Windows Internet Explorer blank windows coming up and I cannot stop them they always go to around 62 and if I close them theyll open right back up as fast I close them, my computer sho cant find anything virus wise in m computer thats causeing this any ideas thoughts on this guys?
To get out I have to trun off my computer and then pwr back up
Joe
alex
Administrator

Re: Problem w/ computer when I get on Batlabs please read....

Post by alex »

It's not a problem on this site, it's a problem on your computer.

You have a spyware or something along those lines on the computer.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
gamejunkie13

Post by gamejunkie13 »

You need to download "Spybot: Search and Destroy", this will clear up most of your spyware problems. The last post hit it on the head. You can also download Microsoft's "Windows Defender" or "Ad-Aware SE Personal". All these are free downloads. Disconnect from your network cable, run them and then reboot, then run them again.
Last edited by gamejunkie13 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrm5265
Batboard $upporter

Post by jrm5265 »

Thanks yea I didnt think it was anything wrong with the site I was just wondering if anybody else had had a similar issue and what they did about it

Thanks
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

...and stop using IE. Download Firefox.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

thebigphish wrote:...and stop using IE. Download Firefox.
Then install the AdBlock Plus plugin followed by Filterset.G. Kiss spyware and ads goodbye.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
misawatech

Post by misawatech »

My 2 cents...I do alot of "cleaning computers" and the best way I've found is to run the scans in these steps.

1. Turn off your system restore. When you do this you won't be able to restore your system before the current date. It probably doesn't matter as you don't want to add the spyware/virus back into your system.

2. Reboot the computer in safe mode without network support. Alot, if not all, of the worst programs will reinstall or reactivate themselves if you try to remove them in regular mode. In safe mode windows runs with a very limited and basic set of drivers and programs. Since you've chosen safe mode with no network support you needn't worry about the internet connections.

3. I usually run the antivirus first. IF I happen to have a system with one of the secruity suite programs this should clean most of the problems.

4. I then run Adaware. I understand there are some issues with the newest version. I am still using an older version.

5. Last I run Spybot. This will usually catch everything that is bad.

6. To make sure everything is gone I run them all again 2 more times in safe mode and once in regular mode. This is just to ensure my customers don't call me back. You probably don't need to do this much.

7. If there are still problems then I resort to a program called "Hijack this". This one is dangerous as it deletes registry entries. If you are unsure of the entry it may make your system unbootable.

8. If all the programs come up clean then you will have to look for damage to the windows/internet explorer files. I cleaned one last night but when I tried to do the windows updates I found the files corrupted and had to delete them.

I know I've run on but I wnated to share my thoughts and steps. I've had a computer business on the side for about 5 years now. These steps usually get me the results I need. Of course they might not be the best or they might be overkill. Your mileage may vary.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”