ast 386 laptop bios questions

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kt2728

ast 386 laptop bios questions

Post by kt2728 »

i have an ast exec 386 sx 20 for programming the older stuff, but the damm thing wont talk to the radios through the serial port. i think it has an issue with the bios settings. the problem i am having is getting into the bios. during the boot up it says " to access the setup program press ctrl+alt+esc now" when i get into the setup program it doesnt say anything about bios or the serial ports. anybody have any ideas.
it is running dos 5.00 and the only things on the hdd are the programming software.

will someone with more smarts than me please drop me a line

thanks

kt
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!
Jim202

Re: ast 386 laptop bios questions

Post by Jim202 »

Most of the older computers have multiple screen selections once you get into the setup
screen. It may be on the top or where ever. You just have to walk through all the
screens and look at the settings. Some of them may say something like advance
settings. With each computer being different, it's hard to point an exact "look here"
advice for you. It will take the left right, up down, or even a tab key, page up or
down to move around.

Jim

kt2728 wrote:i have an ast exec 386 sx 20 for programming the older stuff, but the damm thing wont talk to the radios through the serial port. i think it has an issue with the bios settings. the problem i am having is getting into the bios. during the boot up it says " to access the setup program press ctrl+alt+esc now" when i get into the setup program it doesnt say anything about bios or the serial ports. anybody have any ideas.
it is running dos 5.00 and the only things on the hdd are the programming software.

will someone with more smarts than me please drop me a line

thanks

kt
Terry_Glover

Re: ast 386 laptop bios questions

Post by Terry_Glover »

kt2728 wrote:...it is running dos 5.00 and the only things on the hdd are the programming software.
I believe most of this older software requires DOS 6.22 or later, doesn't it? I had to put 6.22 on my old 286 dinosaur before MTSX would work on it.
Terry

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”