Carputer Suggestions

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

Carputer Suggestions

Post by jmr061 »

Okay guys, going for opinions here.

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Instead of installing a full fledged laptop with docking station etc, I am entertaining the idea of going with a carputer and indash stereo/flip out display. I believe I can only do a single DIN install with the 04 Grand Cherokee. I need 802.11b/g plus gps in the carputer itself. I want to run WinXP (full version). The carputer would be mounted under the passenger seat or way in the back. I am running a W3 astro spectra (soon to be XTL5k) so I want to keep things fairly low profile.

I'm not too concerned about a keyboard at this point but something small and possibly mounted on a pivot/swiivel mount might be nice or I can use the toss in on the back seat method. :)

So basically looking for suggestions for the carputer itself (want to do APRS, internet, IM, email, etc with it). I'll have a Kycocera wireless router for the internet connection via Sprint, FYI. Then suggestions on an am/fm stereo with a flip out touchscreen display for indash mounting. Don't need CD or DVD but DVD movie playing would be a plus.

Thanks ahead of time for the ideas.

Jason
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Carputer Suggestions

Post by JAYMZ »

http://www.mp3car.com

They usually have some pretty neat stuff... although $$$$
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”