Cable Modem lock ups

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Cable Modem lock ups

Post by arlojanis »

My cable modem locks up often. Is it a cable, modem, or computer problem ? I have to remove power and plug back in and wait for a reboot.
"The world runs on radio."
tvsjr

Re: Cable Modem lock ups

Post by tvsjr »

Cheapshit cable modem, most likely. Most are flaky all by themselves, or are very intolerant of flaky power. Do you have a spare UPS? Try sticking the cable modem on that, and see if your problems disappear.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

arlojanis wrote:My cable modem locks up often. Is it a cable, modem, or computer problem ? I have to remove power and plug back in and wait for a reboot.
What brand and model cable modem are you using? Is it leased from your ISP or do you own it?

Are you by any chance using Comcast HSI ?
Terry
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

I have a Toshiba PCX2500. It is about 3 or 4 years old. I bought it from the cable company when I got cable.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

It probably has nothing to do with your computer unless network settings have been messed with or your network adapter (NIC) is dying.

It's probably not your modem. That Toshiba PCX2500 has a history of being fairly reliable and trouble free. It was a standard issue from Cox HSI to their subscribers. Since you own it you can't turn it in at the cable office to exchange for another at no charge.

What you've described is more likely an intermittent connection problem originating outside of your premises. Best bet is to contact you ISP and go from there.

I mentioned Comcast in my other post because their network is in the middle of a Nationwide system upgrade. Certain regions across the Country are experiencing disconnects and brief outages. It affects every Comcast subscriber anywhere sooner or later. I went through 10 days of disconnects and re-sets back in July. Mid-West States and West coast are being affected currently.
Terry
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

I work in the CATV industry...

The random lockups can either be loss of signal (modem loses block sync) or faulty power components...

Does it have an exterior wall wart power adaptor or straight 110 vac in to the modem?

What are your signal levels when you go to the web interface address (typically 192.168.100.1)?

Should give you something along the lines of downstream level, downstream SNR and upstream transmit levels.

Any splitters or amplifiers in line with the cable modem?
arlojanis

Post by arlojanis »

The power is from a Toshiba switching power supply. The cable is split where it enters the building (for TV) and is about 100 feet of mostly RG6 with a short piece of RG59. Please explain how to get to the web interface address.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

arlojanis wrote:The power is from a Toshiba switching power supply. The cable is split where it enters the building (for TV) and is about 100 feet of mostly RG6 with a short piece of RG59. Please explain how to get to the web interface address.
Quality RG59 (kind of an oxy moron), in short runs, is ok as a short jumper from wall plate to modem, but is to be avoided if at all possible, due to the lack of sufficent shielding (usually 20-40% copper braid/no foil)...

You should be able to go in your internet browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc) to the address http://192.168.100.1 or whatever the LAN IP address of your cable modem is.

Usually you can find it by running IP config from Command Prompt - the modem (assuming you don't have a router in the middle) will usually be the default gateway IP... You can also base it off of your IP address - if you computer's IP address is 192.168.2.100, the modem's is likely 192.168.2.1; computer 10.0.0.100, modem 10.0.0.1; computer x.x.x.53, modem x.x.x.1.

Are their any splitters, barrel connectors, push on fittings or ANYTHING GOLD PLATED on that coaxial run?
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

Terry_Glover wrote: ... Bottom line is, it's all over your head unless you're a system technician. ...
Cowboy wrote:I work in the CATV industry...
Some of us are, however, paid quite well as system techs...

I was just trying to gather information to attempt to troubleshoot the issue as a courtesy...

Feel free to PM me directly if you're interested in additional assistance... This thread seems to have drifted from the OP's request for help.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”