Install Windows Xp Home on MSI 865PE Neo2 V

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

Install Windows Xp Home on MSI 865PE Neo2 V

Post by Batman »

trying to Install Xp on an Intel ICH5 SATA Chipset.

Windows does not seem to natively see it and i can't locate software to load the drivers during installation using F6.

Neither MSI or Intel has appropriate drivers.
Thank You,

Robert
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Install Windows Xp Home on MSI 865PE Neo2 V

Post by JAYMZ »

Is your XP disk SP1 or SP2? I do believe that support for SATA didn't come about until SP2. You would need to slipstream SP2 onto your disk in order for the setup to be able to see and write to a SATA drive.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

Post by Batman »

This is Win Xp Home Sp1 OEM.

how would i slipstream sp2 into it and how will that affect my ability to use my oem product key and activate windows.
Thank You,

Robert
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Batman wrote:This is Win Xp Home Sp1 OEM.

how would i slipstream sp2 into it and how will that affect my ability to use my oem product key and activate windows.
There's a couple of ways to go about it...neither affect your product key. Manual instructions can be found here:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

There's a program that pretty well automates the procedure once you set it up called autostreamer. Instructions can be found here:

http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/usin ... amer.shtml

I've done it both ways with both SP2 & SP3 with no issues. You might as well update to SP3 if you're going to do this...not to mention I'm not even sure if SP2 can be downloaded from MS anymore. The entire 316MB SP3 package can be downloaded here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Hope you have high speed!
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Oh, and a couple of things to consider.

I know SP2 didn't have many common SATA drivers, such as Nvidia, silicon image, or intel sata drivers. I don't know if SP3 was updated to include more, though I would assume so. So you ultimately may need the drivers from MSI, who 'should' have them, though they may be named for another board model.

Also, it's possible if the IDE channel has not been disabled in the BIOS, then Windows XP will fail to install saying that setup could not find the hard drive.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

IIRC, I believe SP3 has the current SATA drivers from like April-ish...

If you don't want to muck about with the conventional slipstreaming methods I would recommend nLite (FREE) to create your own XP install CD.

http://kylefarnung.com/index.php/2007/0 ... tom_oem_wi

That link was meant for Lenovo Thinkpads, but the process is the same with any computer really. You harvest your own COA Key, put it all together (you can even build an unattended install) and nLite will make your own personalized XP installation CD. It'll slipstream SP3, you can disable features of the OS, incorporate other themes into your install by default... special drivers... special software...

Have fun!
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”