freeware gateway router, content filter, firewall

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Batman
What radios do you own?: JT1000, Spectras, CB-555, 540

freeware gateway router, content filter, firewall

Post by Batman »

looking for a freeware program that will do network monitoring, routing, content filter, firewall functions.

i would be using an old dual cpu mobo and windows 2000 pro.
Thank You,

Robert
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: freeware gateway router, content filter, firewall

Post by thebigphish »

suggestion.

Ditch the win2k, and install CentOS or another Linux derivative, learn about 20 minutes worth of IPTables & Squid and be done with it. Freeware OS. Then you can even go and build more features into it, and you will be barely taxing the dual cpu mobo.

late 90s & early 2k MS products can't hold a candle to the *nix realm when it comes to cpu overhead, flexibility & stability.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Post by Jim2121 »

you could see if theres something here: http://www.filehippo.com/ better to do what the thebigphish said...... Jim
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

thebigphish wrote:suggestion.

Ditch the win2k, and install CentOS or another Linux derivative, learn about 20 minutes worth of IPTables & Squid and be done with it. Freeware OS. Then you can even go and build more features into it, and you will be barely taxing the dual cpu mobo.

late 90s & early 2k MS products can't hold a candle to the *nix realm when it comes to cpu overhead, flexibility & stability.
Then if you feel like really having a good time you can set up your own internal web server, or a file server, or a print server... the list goes on. Pile on whatever features you like and it won't come close to overbearing your system.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I can't stress the horsepower you can bilk from an older system, with even moderate hardware. I have a couple of Pentium IIs & IIIs with a half a gig of RAM which are hosting message boards, mail server, NTP, a replication server, a standalone Samba box, MySQL, a FreeRADIUS daemon, etc....and they are all screaming.

You don't even have to install a GUI, they are light on HD space, and it will only take you a little bit to get comfy w/ SSH, and then you will be where i am with a single KVM on 4 separate computers. Trust me, make the switch. Once you do, you might be able to find a nice multiprocessor aware kernel which will probably make that quite the effective multiprocessing system, since i recall you having stated you had a dual processor motherboard. You will be suprised.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

One downside to lots of older boxes - power consumption. I've recently migrated a bunch of stuff from old P2/P3 boxen to one beefy dual Xeon box running VMWare ESXi (free). Cut the power consumption down by about 75%, with more performance available to boot.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”