Upgrading Dos 5 to 6

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CGRESQ192

Upgrading Dos 5 to 6

Post by CGRESQ192 »

I've got a 386 laptop (80 Meg HD) It has windows 3.1 and dos 5.

I know dos 6.22 is the one to use for RSS.

How can I upgrade to dos 5.0 > 6.22, is this possible or does it depend on hardware?

I have Dos 6.0 Full and a 6.22 upgrade.

can I go from 5.0>6.22 directly? or do I need to upgrade to 6, then 6.22

Any input is appreciated!
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Upgrading Dos 5 to 6

Post by JAYMZ »

You should be able to go straight to 6.22 as long as it is a full upgrade and not just a patch.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
john9912
New User

Post by john9912 »

If there is enough room in the boot sector of the hard drive for the system files, you should be able to go directly to DOS 6.22.
(Make a backup of your hard disk before you start anything)
There are also ways to make DOS bootable CD's and DOS bootable USB flash drives (if your system supports it)

Boot from DOS 6.22 floppy disk and run the upgrade OR

Boot from DOS 6.22 floppy disk and install it manually
From the A:/> prompt
SYS C: [enter] (This should install the DOS 6.22 system boot files to the hard drive)
From the A:/> prompt
Copy a:\command.com c:\ [enter] (This should copy the last system file needed to boot to the hard drive)
Next copy all the DOS supplemental files to the hard drive.

If the SYS C: command returns an error of not enough room for system files, you will need to backup all files on the hard drive, boot with DOS 6.22, reformat the hard drive from the DOS 6.22 disk with "FORMAT C: /S" That will format the hard drive and install the system files. Then restore files from your backup (with the exception of DOS files)

Good luck
CGRESQ192

Post by CGRESQ192 »

Thanks guys

Upgraded to 6.22 successfully with all the help and tips.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”