Com port not working Win98

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

john9912
New User

Com port not working Win98

Post by john9912 »

I have an IBM thinkpad 770 which I use for programming. The COM port stopped working in windows. It works fine in DOS RSS. Set to Com1 IRQ 4 3F8. No problems in DOS. Shortly after I bought a new laptop, the port will not work in windows programs. I tried Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, & Maxon windows software. It will not communicate with any radios. (Cables & radios work on other computer)
Windows Hyper Terminal seems to work with the com port. I made a loopback connector for the port and when it is attached I can see my typing being echoed back. The port is enabled in Thinkpad Configuration manager and the internal infrared and modem are disabled. I tried deleting the port in device manager, assigning it another com port address, still doesn't work. I tried to update the driver in device manager, but it says it already has the newest driver. I am at a loss and I need to get it working. I no longer work for a Motorola dealer and that is the only computer I have that has CPS for PR860 on it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
John Liguori
Franklin, NJ
john9912
New User

Re: Com port not working Win98

Post by john9912 »

OK, I made some progress on this. I removed the newer Waris Pro Series CPS and the port started working for everything else.

I installed the newest Waris Pro Series CPS and everything was working. Pro radios worked, all other brands of software and radios worked. Now for the new PROBLEM. I restarted the computer and the port again doesn't work for any windows software. I removed the Pro CPS again and everything started working.

Has anyone heard of such a problem or know how I can correct it? The 6.07 and older Pro CPS worked fine, Once I installed 6.09 or 6.10 the port doesn't work for any windows software (DOS programs are fine). Laptop is Win98, IBM Thinkpad 770.

and with my luck I still didn't get my PR860 programmed :(

John L.
Franklin,NJ
eurecomx

Post by eurecomx »

My laptop is IBM 600E, in MS-DOS use COM 1, and in WIN98 COM 2 is automatic . same DB9 connector. working fine in RSS and CPS.
when you make some change, RESTART.
check this in you machine.
trentininelmondo
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

open device manager and turn off or disable the ir port
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

HLA wrote:open device manager and turn off or disable the ir port
If you read through his first post, he already did.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”