MW-520 [F5201A] keyboard / disassembly

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

beatgr
New User

MW-520 [F5201A] keyboard / disassembly

Post by beatgr »

I acquired a MW-520 that was headed to the dumpster. The unit was well worn and being an early [F5201A] model ..
it will only run Win95 and DOS.

The heavy case is excellent for a future SBC or a PicoITX board :-)
I will likely strip for a few parts, but have a couple of questions.

1. Did Motorola have a special tool to tighten the hex nuts for the Power switch and Reset button?
None of my special tools/spanners would work.

2. What were the pin assignments of the DB-9 for the keyboard connector?
A quick scan inside -- I saw the PIC processor and breakout for the 12 VDC (2 lights above keyboard)
Is it as simple as the standard PC keyboard; mouse/touch pad pin assignments; and power (12 VDC) in the DB-9 shell?

g. beat
w9gb
beatgr
New User

Re: MW-520 [F5201A] keyboard / disassembly

Post by beatgr »

1. Did Motorola have a special tool to tighten the hex nuts for the Power switch and Reset button?
None of my special tools/spanners would work.
I will answer my first question !

1. The RESET push button and POWER switch are black plastic and are friction fitted. Remove these covers and the hex nuts are easily accessible. In my case, a previous service person decided to use GLUE to keep them firmly on!!

2. I am working through the tracing for the DB-9 pin assignments. Would have been nice to have a Sevrice Manual reference

g. beat
w9gb

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”