R-1801A

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scoops

R-1801A

Post by scoops »

Hi,
I've been playing around with a R-1801A programmer . I used it quite a few years ago with out issue. I've been trying to read/edit some 5096c eproms. I either get "prom missing", or "wrong model number ". I've tried all model numbers with the same results. I tried different serial cables, re-flowed the solder on the 4070a adapter. The adapter looks like its being read, because if its not installed, i get :please install adapter 4070a. Ive been able to read syntorx proms, so I would guess the 4070a adapter is bad?
Thanks
Chris
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Re: R-1801A

Post by DJP126 »

scoops wrote:Hi,
I've been playing around with a R-1801A programmer . I used it quite a few years ago with out issue. I've been trying to read/edit some 5096c eproms. I either get "prom missing", or "wrong model number ". I've tried all model numbers with the same results. I tried different serial cables, re-flowed the solder on the 4070a adapter. The adapter looks like its being read, because if its not installed, i get :please install adapter 4070a. Ive been able to read syntorx proms, so I would guess the 4070a adapter is bad?
Thanks
Chris
IIRC you are trying to program an MX300 series radio and the firmware is called MX300S+. Make sure the eprom carrier on the 4070A is tight (2" lbs.) on the adapter and that the eprom is also tight (again 2" lbs.) on the carrier.
Dave
scoops

Post by scoops »

Hi, I'm using mx300-E with RLN4070A . I'm trying 5096C eproms. I tried tightening the screws, reflowed the solder. I replaced the IC , cleaned all the contacts. It must be a bad adapter..It did work some years ago..Thanks for your help..
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

The problem could still be in the reader/programmer of the R1801. Have you tried other apps such as SyntorX? The different apps use different amounts of data and address lines, so one program might not use the same address line that is faulty, where the MX300E program MIGHT use that line. The SyntorX programs use most of them and the MSF program uses them all.

I was one of the first Motorola Test Equipment Service techs trained on the 1801 and I trained several others on the maintenance procedures. MOST of the problems (about 90%) were on the Reader/Programmer.
Dave
scoops

Post by scoops »

Hi, I tried reading a syntorx MM, I keep getting VCO bit error. Maybe it is the 1801..
DJP126

Post by DJP126 »

Most problems on the reader/programmer are in the data lines (U5, 6 & 7 and their associated darlington transistors). The ic's are the three almost between the 25 pin connectors going up. IF you have the ops manual, look at the r/p schematic & check the ic's with an ohm meter. They are all the same type and they should all ohm out the same. Same with the darlingtons.
Dave
scoops

Post by scoops »

I have the schematic. I'll play with it in a week or so. Thanks for your help..

Return to “Radio Programming”