APX CPS Import UCL

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

red
New User
What radios do you own?: APX7500, APX7kXE, APX6k, XTS5k

APX CPS Import UCL

Post by red »

Has anyone played with the UCL in an APX CPS and imported a large contact list? I was hoping that the multiple record view would allow me to cut-n-paste such information but all it displays is the contact names.
I have a large amount of contacts that I want to add to a codeplug and am looking for a way to transfer the data easily from Excel into the CPS. I am not that familiar with xml.

I was able to export the current UCL (which has 1 contact) to an .xml document which I then opened in excel. The xml table that is displayed is rather confusing as it has 21 columns and 14 rows all for 1 contact. I realize that the number of rows are related to the different contact methods (Trunk systems/personalities, Conv systems/personalities, phone number, etc) but it is more than I was expecting.

Just asking around the community if anyone has an experience with this?

Thanks,
Red
Red
NC Firefighter
zelda425
New User

Re: APX CPS Import UCL

Post by zelda425 »

Red,

I just imported over 400 contacts into my UCL. If you look at the XML file having 3 parts, a header, a footer, and data (in the middle). The data section repeats itself, except for the "alpha tag"/name and the radio ID. I had two columns in excel, one with the radio ID, one with the "alpha tag". I ran a mail merge with microsoft word, after I figured out where my data was in the xml file. I then copied the data back into the original XML, and re-imported that XML into my CPS, and I had only one error, for over 400 contacts.

Without knowing if these are MDC / trunking / astro 25 ID's i can't go into too much detail, but if you want to create a second UCL entry, export the XML and post it, I will break it apart for you.
red
New User

Post by red »

Let me look at how to attach a file to this post. The IDs I am looking to capture for every contact is 2 different Astro25 IDs, MDC and an Astro Conv.
Ultimately I think the UCL will be about 1000-1500 entries so the ability to produce the data in excel, save as an xml and import into CPS is going to be key to the whole process.

When I open this file in excel 2010, I get a message asking,
"Please select how your would like to open this file:
As an XML table
As a read-only workbook
Use the XML Source task pane"

Selecting the first or third option produces the following message "The specified XML source does not refer to a schema. Excel will create a schema based on the XML source data."

As you might guess, XML is new to me but I am very good with excel.

Thanks for your help.
Red
NC Firefighter
cms1126

Post by cms1126 »

I'm trying to do the same...I have 1000+ mdc id's i'm trying to import. I'm pretty good with excel and word...but XML is new to me too. Step by step guide maybe? I'm sure there are more people who would greatly benefit!
red
New User

Post by red »

This is exactly what I was looking for!
All hail Arkardam:
http://www.akardam.net/moto/tools/apxuclbuilder.pl
Red
NC Firefighter
cablemonkey

Post by cablemonkey »

I know this thread is older than moon rocks but I'm trying to use this tool to generate a UCL I can import into APX radios and keep running into this error: UCL line 1 references undefined system '' of type

I can't find any combination of system name, number, dashes, underscores, etc., that will make this work.

I have two systems, MDC conventional and P25 conventional. There is no FNE, just want to get PTT-ID and EA working without having to build the UCL in CPS and it's busted table format interface.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Radio Programming”