USB to MCS2000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

USB to MCS2000

Post by Birken Vogt »

I think this has been hashed over and the results were not good but I would still like to check one more time if anybody has had any success programming the MCS2000 with USB of any kind.

I use only one kind of USB to serial converter, the "plugable" brand and it works good for all kinds of radios but as we all know the MCS2000 is very finicky. I tried with our main programming laptop which has only USB and it gets into program mode but no data flows. Same thing on the programming desktop but it also has a real serial port and when I go there it works fine. So I know it is the adapter that is the main culprit.

I am just hoping against hope that there is maybe a different piece of hardware USB to serial converter or some settings in Windows that can be changed. Right now it is 9600-n-8-1 same as the real serial port.

Thoughts?
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Re: USB to MCS2000

Post by KG4INW »

I've gotten it to work just fine w/ an XP machine and a USB - serial converter. I will double check sometime when I'm at work to see what brand it is but several of us have had no problems using it to read/write to MCS2000s.
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Re: USB to MCS2000

Post by KG4INW »

We all have been using IOGEAR USB to Serial RS232 adapters, model GUC232A and they work well with most radios: http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC232A/

Return to “Radio Programming”