MTS2000 Test Mode Question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yagermeister

MTS2000 Test Mode Question

Post by yagermeister »

I have a Model I VHF MTS2000 that I'm having trouble diagnosing. If I put the radio into RF Test Mode, by pressing SB3 5 times after the Self Test, and then press Side Button 2, the following text displays come up:
CSQ TPL DPL TLS THS DTM M12 and then S/F
I can't find any reference in the service manual that explains what "S/F" indicates. The radio does have DEX-XL encryption, but there's no encryption key loaded. Is anyone familiar with this test code display?
Thank You
WA7IEP
WQZW304
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: MTS2000 Test Mode Question

Post by thebigphish »

Code: Select all

Table 7 Test Environments, MT 2000, MTS 2000, and MTX Series Radios
NO. OF BEEPS DISPLAY DESCRIPTION FUNCTION

1* CSQ Carrier Squelch  RX: unsquelch if carrier detected TX: mic audio
2 HC Hear Clear** RX: unsquelch if carrier detected TX: compressed mic audio
3 TPL Tone Private-Line  RX: unsquelch if carrier and tone (192.8Hz) detected TX: mic audio + tone (192.8Hz)
4 DPL Digital Private-Line RX: unsquelch if carrier and digital code (131) detected TX: mic audio + digital code (131) detected
5 TLS Trunking Low Speed RX: unsquelch if carrier detected TX: mic audio + connect tone (105.8Hz) @ correct deviation
6 THS Trunking RX: unsquelch if valid outbound signalling word (OSW)  detected High Speed TX: 1500Hz tone
7 DTM multiple freq. dual-tone RX: unsquelch if carrier detected TX: selected DTMF tone pair
8 M12 MDC1200 RX: unsquelch if carrier detected without DOS (1000Hz); squelch if carrier detected with DOS (1800Hz) TX: 1500Hz tone
9 SEC Secure*** RX: auto-coded clear RX: with key present - encrypted audio with key absent - constant unsquelch
this is remarkably close to the display you were describing, so i'm going to go out on a limb that "S/F" is Select 5? Andreas might be able to help a little farther, maybe your radio has a little bit of european influence in it?
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
yagermeister

Re: MTS2000 Test Mode Question

Post by yagermeister »

Yeah, that's the list I was looking at also. I don't see Select 5 mentioned anywhere for the MTS series. The S/F showed up as the 9th item, which would be where Secure is on the list. Seems funny that they don't list exactly what the display shows in the manual. This is a Model I, with the small top display, so maybe that's why it doesn't say Secure. I was thinking it might be Secure / Fail, as it has an encryption module, but no key loaded. I plan on trying to load a key soon, and I'll post what the test mode display is then, if it changes.
WA7IEP
WQZW304

Return to “Radio Programming”