RIB to radio cable left on question

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

turtle9832

RIB to radio cable left on question

Post by turtle9832 »

I have a person new to ham who purchased an astro spectra W3. He installed it in a new Explorer. He removed the spare tire and mounted the drawer where the tire was. He then replaced the cargo floor and mounted a custom cargo area drawer organizer on top of the cargo floor. This eliminated easy access to the Spectra drawer.

He attached the rib to radio cable and left the rib end of the cable exposed above the cargo floor to allow for programming.

Now my question, is it ok to leave the rib to radio cable attached and operate the radio to transmit and receive?

Please spare me the comments that the guy is an idiot for driving around without a spare tire.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: RIB to radio cable left on question

Post by N4KVE »

I did the same thing. Too difficult to get to the radio to program changes, but easy to get to the cable. GARY
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Yes many people do that. No problem at all.

Jason
Will

Post by Will »

Another reason we have a 68 foot cable for programing ......
turtle9832

Post by turtle9832 »

thanks people
jhooten

Post by jhooten »

In the days when I maintained a fleet I would use a straight through extension cable to leave on the radio to keep my only rib to radio cable free.
eleet

Post by eleet »

This is not a problem on any radio I know of, besides the X9000, whose cable has a jumper in it that permits eeprom writes when the cable is connected. Motorola thought there could be some kind of glitch that might corrupt the eeprom. So they implemented this write protection in hardware, and the eeprom will accept writes anytime the cable is connected. If you want to snoop the sb9600 bus on an x9000 then you should make another cable without this jumper.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

eleet wrote:This is not a problem on any radio I know of, besides the X9000, whose cable has a jumper in it that permits eeprom writes when the cable is connected. Motorola thought there could be some kind of glitch that might corrupt the eeprom. So they implemented this write protection in hardware, and the eeprom will accept writes anytime the cable is connected. If you want to snoop the sb9600 bus on an x9000 then you should make another cable without this jumper.

You can leave the Syntor X9000 programming cable connected to the radio. You just can't leave that cable connected to the RIB. If you do, you won't have any TX audio.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”