programming xtl5000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

roadieradios
New User

programming xtl5000

Post by roadieradios »

can i ask you a programming question for the xtl5000? trying to get my cps to sync up my o5 head to the transceiver...i have 12v going to the back of the transceiver....the red cable for the o5 head going to 12v and the yellow cable (red and yellow wires) also going to 12v....

the head lights up with the yellow and red cables going to 12v but when i plug in the transceiver the head goes out...any ideas

arthur
ladiesfish@aol.com
Jim202

Re: programming xtl5000

Post by Jim202 »

roadieradios wrote:can i ask you a programming question for the xtl5000? trying to get my cps to sync up my o5 head to the transceiver...i have 12v going to the back of the transceiver....the red cable for the o5 head going to 12v and the yellow cable (red and yellow wires) also going to 12v....

the head lights up with the yellow and red cables going to 12v but when i plug in the transceiver the head goes out...any ideas

arthur
ladiesfish@aol.com

What do you mean when you "plug in the transceiver, the head goes out"?

You should have all connections made and the radio turned on and functional before you connect up the programming cable to the mic connector on the 05 head. Make sure you have selected the correct interface in the software for the USB or serial connection cable your using.

Jim
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Once you have power to everything, try reading directly from the radio and see what happens.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

I wonder if it has been inhibited?
roadieradios
New User

Post by roadieradios »

well when everything is plugged in...it wont work.....I unplug the transceiver power and the head goes on ....plug in the 2 prong power which I am reading 12v from and the head goes out......also just tried using a head directly mounted to the transceiver from ebay just using the same 2 prong 12v and a separate ignition sense cable putting directly into #24 also tried #25 on the 26 pin connector and wont light up.....I have about 10 transceivers that came from a working division and all do the same
roadieradios
New User

Post by roadieradios »

I just bought a conversion kit so I can mount the faceplate right to the transceiver and am still getting nothing to light up.....I bought the faceplate kit on ebay and it said something about if the versions were off it may not power up and it would need to be flashed...but how can I do anything with cps to flash it if its not powering up? I have about 10 of these and tried it with a few so I don't think its the units and I have run a separate 12v wire and stuck it in pin 24 incase of ignition sense....also tried pin 25 but nothing
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

If they all do the same thing either you are not setting them up right or you have a power supply issue. Highly doubt you have 10 bad radios. Lets slow down here. Where are the grounds from the control head and radio drawer going to? Are the two power wires (yellow and red) on the control head and the red power wires on the radio drawer going to the same power source? Have you looked at the install diagram to make sure you are wiring it properly?

http://forums.radioreference.com/attach ... 00_001.jpg
roadieradios
New User

Post by roadieradios »

well im trying to cut down contacts at this point....I wired it with a direct control head to the body ..still nothing ...I got the bodies from a local fd which were working at the time....bought the control heads off ebay......wired it correctly.....ignition sense included to pin 24 but im lost ...I sell a ton of stuff but never had this problem ...im sure it is something simple and the guys on here are incredibly knowledgeable so if you can and have the time
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am confused because you say its remote mount but yet you refer to pin24 for ignition sense?? Pin 24 on what? If you are doing power to the back multipin connector on the rear of the radio....it isn't used for remote mount O5 configuration.

Now if you have placed the radio into a true dashmount configuration then yes the rear multipin connector is used. Are you using all OEM hardware? If the software in the head doesn't match the radio then it will come up in Maint. Mode. If its not coming on at all you have bigger problems.

Since they were sold as working in the configuration they were in, I would use that as the setup and not switch to dashmount.
roadieradios
New User

Post by roadieradios »

well they were said working but I never had a head for the ones I have so I went out and got both kits...one to directly connect to the transceiver and one to remotely access it...ok back to the drawing board remote style somehow I just got it sort of going got the head to sync to the transceiver but had the wrong cps version and had to start over and now I cant get it going again.....

let me get this part straight ok power to the transceiver easier enough

now to the remote head BLUE cable easy enough..head to transceiver

red cable out of the transceiver has 4 wires red yellow black and the grey speaker leads....of those red and black goto 12v and ground?

now the yellow cable out of the back of the remote head...these are smaller wires as follows white purple orange blue green red yellow black........red and yellow to 12v and black to ground?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

roadieradios wrote:well they were said working but I never had a head for the ones I have so I went out and got both kits...one to directly connect to the transceiver and one to remotely access it...ok back to the drawing board remote style somehow I just got it sort of going got the head to sync to the transceiver but had the wrong cps version and had to start over and now I cant get it going again.....

let me get this part straight ok power to the transceiver easier enough

now to the remote head BLUE cable easy enough..head to transceiver

red cable out of the transceiver has 4 wires red yellow black and the grey speaker leads....of those red and black goto 12v and ground?

now the yellow cable out of the back of the remote head...these are smaller wires as follows white purple orange blue green red yellow black........red and yellow to 12v and black to ground?

Small red and yellow wires go to +12 volts. Small black to ground. The large red on back of radio goes to the same +12 volts. Large black from rear of radio goes to ground.

I would check all the fuses and make sure they are good.

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Let me ask a simple question here. Which button are you pressing to turn the radio and head on with?

On the 05 control head, the bottom of the 3 buttons on the left of the display is the power button, located next to the mic connector. You need to press and hold the button for about 2 seconds to turn the radio on. The top left button with the lamp symbol is used to dim the display once you have the package turned on.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”