Newbe looking for a little help with older handhelds.

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

plataoplomo
New User

Newbe looking for a little help with older handhelds.

Post by plataoplomo »

Hello,

First time poster. Please be gentle.

Earlier in the year I purchased a lot of used Motorola handhelds at auction. They were retired from a school district.

We live on a pretty remote farm. I would like to spread these units around my various farm vehicles, and perhaps to my closer neighbors. We all watch out for each other and communications would help.

In that lot I received,

4 Radius P1225's. 4 of which appear to work.
8 Radius P110's. 5 work.
2 GP300's. Not able to test.
1 Radius P200. Works.
4 Visar's. 1 works.
1 RitRon Quick Talk sensor radio interface. Unable to test.

I did not receive any kind of documentation. Through internet searches I found a few user guides, but nothing for the P1225's.

Through trial and error I have figured out what channels work between the radios. I know that I need new and spare batteries for specific models. I also need replacement antenna's. I have both of those on order.

My questions are,

1.) If anyone has an electronic copy or a link to the manuals for the P1225 it would be greatly appreciated.

2.) These handhelds all have channel switches for multiple frequencies. It appears that some channels are not programmed or activated. Using the approprate equipment, is it possible to activate all of the channel positions on various units? Can I use all 16 channels on the P1225's? or 6 channels on the P110's?

3.) Before you can transmit on any of the P1225's you have to hold down the option A button for a beep. I would guess that "feature" is a programmed key pad lock to prevent accidental ptt keying?

4.) I have seen internet posts where handhelds are converted into repeaters. For part of our farm that would be useful. Is that possible using equipment I have? Can anyone point me to a howto or tutorial on how to do that?

I have read where programming these units requires a hardware interface called a RIB, and older computer capable of running the programming software, and some specific cables.

As it stands these units are working. They do what we need to .So I am not looking to ship them off to a shop for overhaul and reprogramming. I would prefer to do the work myself and learn a bit more about the equipment.

I have a fair amount of experience programming various pieces equipment. Routers, ATM's, Unix terminal connections, modems, etc. I am comfortable with being able to do this kind of work. I would just prefer to avoid the "new-be" mistakes if at all possible.

Anyone willing to offer a little guidance? Thanks for your time and attention.
KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Re: Newbe looking for a little help with older handhelds.

Post by KX5MOT »

All of the Motorola radios listed are programmable to use all of the channels that they support.

Each model radio is programmed with a computer, it's own specific software and cable(with the exception of the GP300/P110, IIRC they use the same cable/RSS)and they normally would require a RIB unless you are using some aftermarket cables. I am not very familiar with the Ritron, but I think its transmits preset messages on whatever frequency the radios are on.

The P1225s could be possibly be programmed for Busy Channel Lockout or something, the buttons are reprogrammable too.

Also some things to consider, you shouldn't just go transmitting on a random frequency that you aren't licensed for or authorized to use, especially if they are still programmed with the school's frequency that they may still use. And even if you live far from the school that you got them from, and regardless of how remote you are, someone else could be already licensed for those frequencies nearby. If you have a ham license you could program them for ham freqs and use them but your other users would need a license as well.

On another note, if you do have your own frequency that you are licensed for or unless you will be using them on amateur frequencies, UHF/VHF commercial/business frequencies are now required by the FCC to be narrowband and some of those models listed are not narrowband capable.
"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
plataoplomo
New User

Post by plataoplomo »

Thank you very much for your response and the heads up.

What I would like to do is hobby tinker with the P110's and P1225's. Get in to them and see what they are programmed for.

If I can jump that hurdle I will look into what my options are for licenses and frequencies.

Can you offer me any recommendations on interface hardware and software?

Thank you
HotSolder
New User

Post by HotSolder »

Well greetings, I'm a noob here too ut that doesn't stop me from making a first post in a different topic than what I came here for, LOL!

Anyway, I see a couple things here- first is I don't know where you are, I'm guessing the USA because that's the only place I know anything about!

Now, as mentioned your radios are probably programmed for the local school frequency, whatever that is. You can find out by going to radioreference.com and typing in your county/state in their search and it will bring all the licenses up. From there you can see what frequencies your school system is authorized to use, and these will be for one of those.

The important thing/bad news part is that with the narrow banding, the frequencies haven't changed so you really cannot transmit at all as it will still be received by the school, however you can see what the radios are programmed for and maybe find something like MURS where it might be legal to use them. However, even if they can be programmed you have to check to see if they are certified to transmit there. Stupid I know but I didn't write the laws. I think there is also a farm/agricultural operation license but other than that I'm not too up on them.

Sorry I can't be more help, but hopefully this can be a start!

Return to “Radio Programming”