Bricked my CDM750 - why?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hamptonbeach

Bricked my CDM750 - why?

Post by hamptonbeach »

OK, I have a CDM750 and I've never programmed one before but programmed many other Moto radios

I have a Polaris PA-II RIB, and made a cable per the schematic on this website.
I have Pro Radio CPS version 5.03.00
Since the CPS is Windows based, I didn't know if I needed a 'slow' PC ..
I used a Motorola ML910 running Windows 7

Connected to serial port 1 and it read the radio with no issue.
All I needed to do was change the TX frequency on 1 of 2 existing personalities (to access new repeater)
The frequency was in band 160.xxx - I made the change .... and ...

Wrote to the radio - it made a few beeps which I thought was the powercycle, but the radio was dead.
Pressing the power switch does nothing.

Before I kill another radio - did I do something wrong?
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Re: Bricked my CDM750 - why?

Post by kb4mdz »

Did you put in a codeplug with Ignition Sense activated/required?

Try connecting +12V to accessory pin 10.

I did this very thing right in front of the new boss when I signed onto my current place. Good thing he'd made that mistake before, too!
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

All I did was read the existing codeplug, change the TX frequency on personality 1 and write it back.
Ignition sense wasn't active before (no plug in the accessory connector) so I wouldn't think it would change ...
But, I had already ordered one in case that was the issue. I'll have it on Tuesday.

My boss doesn't know I bricked one of his radios yet (I swapped it out with a spare that was already preprogrammed). I'm hoping to fix it before he finds out.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If you have working programmed radios, save a codeplug and write it to your bricked radio.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

That would be a good idea if my bricked radio would power on.
I would think even a radio with a corrupt codeplug would power up and simply spit out errors.
That's why I'm crossing my fingers the ignition sense will wake it up.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

OK - so I had saved the codeplug before I wrote it, and I'm looking at it now.
Under accessory configuration - ignition sense type - is set to" on/off & ignition "

OK, so that explains why the radio is dead - but doesn't the configuration get read from the codeplug?
There was no ignition sense wire on it before, so I have to assume it was set to disabled.

Why would it change?
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Post by kb4mdz »

OK, then that should not change anything. Hmmm, brick?

Try writing that codeplug back in? (and just for fun, add +12V to the ignition sense line...)
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

"On/Off & Ignition" means that it will turn on/off with either the power button or with an ignition sense line. So you should still be able to turn it on but without seeing your radio in person, not sure why it's not turning on any more. If you have the service manuals, there is a small on-board fuse that could've blown and would prevent the radio powering up.

Return to “Radio Programming”