APX 6000 800 Mhz programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ebr4x4
New User

APX 6000 800 Mhz programming

Post by ebr4x4 »

Does anyone have a recommended minimum amount of features that the APX6000 has. Our radio shop gave us very few options/features that are enabled and most of the A-B-C switch and the concentric switch are disabled. Also can you scan an analog channel and digital channel in the same scan list. Ive heard that you can and our radio shop people says you cant. As well as transmitting the MDC of the radio. That doesnt even show up on our radios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
8)
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: APX 6000 800 Mhz programming

Post by N4DES »

A programmer has the ability to lock down the radio to where all you have the ability to do is just one channel and PTT, literally a dummy proof radio.
You can scan analog & digital together with no issues in both trunking and conventional as long as the radio has digital in the flashcode.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

ebr4x4 wrote:Does anyone have a recommended minimum amount of features that the APX6000 has. Our radio shop gave us very few options/features that are enabled and most of the A-B-C switch and the concentric switch are disabled. Also can you scan an analog channel and digital channel in the same scan list. Ive heard that you can and our radio shop people says you cant. As well as transmitting the MDC of the radio. That doesnt even show up on our radios. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
8)
You will need software and a cable to change any of these functions, you will need a system key (assuming the 800 side is trunking). Not sure where you would use MDC on a 800 trunk???

As far as the scan, you would have to make the scan list non priority, therefore you would miss calls. I am guessing this is a public safety radio, not a scanner?

Your radio shop should password protect your radios, it doesn't sound like you have a real firm grasp on functions/features of said radio and the system it's on, hence, you shouldn't touch the programming. We have started locking down every one we send out, for these reasons ourselves.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by ebr4x4 »

I have a pretty good grasp on the features. I have an XTS 2500 and 5000 and I programmed it myself. Can even set tones off of it. My problem is our radio shop that initially programs them doesnt care about what we " the customer" want amd programs it the way they want to because there too lazy to just turn the simple features on. For example they made one of the soft keys ZnDn. No ZnUp was programmed. I work on our command post staff and if I'm out on an incident, it would be nice when someone keys there portable radio up that just n case I happen to miss the unit that keyed up, I can look at the display from their MDC. Just like we have at dispatch. Im not saying do everything on the radio that its capable of doing but when the radio decides how we need to run our FD and communications, then we have a serious failure to communicate somewhere.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

My advice is find another radio shop if the one you are paying good money to will not program radios to your liking. If you design a uniform template with feature lists defined, than they should be able to do exactly that. Not that I am not suggesting doing it in house, but if your chief reason for going back and re-doing someone else' work is because they fail to follow instructions: FIRE THEM!
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I agree with MTS2000des. I work at a radio shop, we configure the radios as the customer requests, not what we feel like doing. I would expect them to go elsewhere, if we didn't provide proper customer service.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Radio Programming”