HT-1250 HK25KDF9AA5AN/Rib-less USB/CPS Issues

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N9NU
What radios do you own?: HT-1250 x 3 | CDM1550 | More..

HT-1250 HK25KDF9AA5AN/Rib-less USB/CPS Issues

Post by N9NU »

Hi

I have a an HT-1250 with the following:

[Info per the printout I received w/ the radio]
Model: AAH25KDF9AA5AN
Firmware: R05.18.01
Serial #: 749TDL1543
OEM Codeplug: 04.11
Latest Codeplug: 04.01

[Info I get when I read radio w/ Waris 3.xx.xx FW/CPG Update/Repair Program]
Codeplug Part #: 51R07035A01R0111
Firmware Part #: 51R07134A01R0153
IC Version: $15 $FF $06 $85
ESN: N/A
Serial #: 0123456789 <--seems the radio was programmed with a dummy/clean codeplug before I bought it

Now....I can read the radio info and even write a dummy codeplug for that model radio (the ones that came with the Waris kit...ending in a ".0' extension. My radio (per the label) has a Tanapa code of: PMUD1482A...which I can write to the radio with this program.

My problem is that I cannot for the life of me get ANY version in the 6.x.x series of CPS to read/write or even recognize the port...which is a USB 2.0 port via the ribless cable. I have tried 3 different machines (all older) running Win XP 32 bit to no avail. All the older HT-1250 codeplugs I have (from an HT-1250 w/ the same model but with R2.x.x firmware end in .cpg) and cannot be loaded and programmed into the radio via the Waris Lab kit....as they require a '.0' file extension.

So I guess I am wondering why the Waris Lab kit program will read the radio just fine (indicating the cable must be good) while no CPS 6.x.x program refuses to even recognize the port. I am using the usual "9600, N, 8, 1, No Flow control, FIFO checked) settings.

Posssible Solution ? Is there any special circuitry within that ribless cable (at the USB connection end) OR is it just a straight run from the 3 pins from the radio end to the USB contacts at the other end? Either way, couldn't I just solder three/four wires from the USB end contacts to a DB9 serial connector and use the serial port itself?? Would that work? I could either splice into the cable before the USB connector or chop it off and solder it to a DB9 (if no circuit is within there) or solder to the USB contacts (post circuitry) if there is any.

Any suggestions (short of buying another type of programming cable) ??

Tim
ARS N9NU
Tim S Dickerson, DHS CEM
Amateur Radio Station:
N9NI
QTH: Woodlake Landing, Sandwich, IL
Coordinates: 041-38-18.1080N / 088-38-40.2750W
ICAO: IS65 - Pattern: Left - Altitude: 755' AGL
Runways: 18/36 Paved 2988' | 8/26 Grass 1750'
Unicom & AWOS: 122.80MHz Airport FBO: 122.750MHz
ARS: N9NU - Ex. N9KOB ARRL: VE-OES-AEC-AA
Grid: EN51 - K.A.R.C. Repeater (KA9CJN/R): 146.73 -600 100Hz PL
Sandwich OEM A/R Repeater (N9NU/R): 444.425 +5 131.8 PL
PC Gamer Tag: Reactor-Critical™
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Re: HT-1250 HK25KDF9AA5AN/Rib-less USB/CPS Issues

Post by SteveC0625 »

This may not be necessary, but let's walk through the absolute basics just to be sure.

Before anything, if you have a driver disc that came with the cable, make sure the driver is installed.

First, close up as many other programs as you can. (Probably not necessary, but it's a good practice whenever troubleshooting.)

Second, plug in the USB cable. Open the Device Manager and verify that the device is correctly installed and the driver is running properly. Also make note of which Com Port it is assigned to.

Third, fire up the CPS and connect the radio to the cable. I'd suggest R06.12.03 or newer if you've got it. Be sure the radio is on. (The latest versions of the CPS won't let you program wideband without the entitlement ID. If you're doing a ham radio, be aware.)

Fourth, ignore the read button on the tool bar. Instead, click on File, and then on Read Device. You should get a little window with a dropdown to select the right Com Port. Now, even if the right shows in the window, click the dropdown and select it. Then click OK and it should attempt to read the radio.

For some strange and unexplained reason, using File --> Read Device instead of the tool bar button on the first read after the CPS is started seems to fix your problem. It's not 100% for everyone, but then there are many combinations of computer, operating system, and CPS version that the "why" may never be discovered.

I just noticed your serial number issue. Check your original disc for the CPS and see if you have the Serial Number Recovery Tool. That may help you get this going.
N9NU
What radios do you own?: HT-1250 x 3 | CDM1550 | More..

Post by N9NU »

Hi

Well thank you for the information. While it did not directly help, it indirectly did!! For some reason, I had installed the latest USB to COM drivers that were on the web site for the type of IC used on my motherboard for COMMS and that ended up being the problem. It could read/write via the Waris Lab kit, but not the CPS. So after reading your response, I decided to check and install the drivers that came directly with the cable (I always usually go and grab the latest versions, however, that didn't work in this case). I fired up the CPS and have no problem read/writing now.

I still have that 0123456789 serial number , however, I could care less at this point.

My only question I have now is in regards to my older .cpg files from 2005. They are from the same model radio, but with 2.x.x firmware and are codeplug 1.x version. Can I write those old codeplugs to the new radio despite the versions ? If not, no big deal.

Tnx for the reminder/help to check the drivers

Tim
Tim S Dickerson, DHS CEM
Amateur Radio Station:
N9NI
QTH: Woodlake Landing, Sandwich, IL
Coordinates: 041-38-18.1080N / 088-38-40.2750W
ICAO: IS65 - Pattern: Left - Altitude: 755' AGL
Runways: 18/36 Paved 2988' | 8/26 Grass 1750'
Unicom & AWOS: 122.80MHz Airport FBO: 122.750MHz
ARS: N9NU - Ex. N9KOB ARRL: VE-OES-AEC-AA
Grid: EN51 - K.A.R.C. Repeater (KA9CJN/R): 146.73 -600 100Hz PL
Sandwich OEM A/R Repeater (N9NU/R): 444.425 +5 131.8 PL
PC Gamer Tag: Reactor-Critical™
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

N9NU wrote:I still have that 0123456789 serial number , however, I could care less at this point.
I do not know if that serial number will prevent issues with using the older codeplugs. You will have to try and see.
N9NU wrote:My only question I have now is in regards to my older .cpg files from 2005. They are from the same model radio, but with 2.x.x firmware and are codeplug 1.x version. Can I write those old codeplugs to the new radio despite the versions ? If not, no big deal.
If you can load the older codeplugs into whatever current version of the CPS you are using, you should be able to go through them and check all the settings. If they are really old, there may be some fields that will need attention. I've never worked with them as you describe it, but I've never had a problem loading an old codeplug from a radio when I first get it and then updating and writing back.
N9NU wrote:Tnx for the reminder/help to check the drivers.
Glad to help. When I first started with the Pro Series, I got lots and lots of help from folks here on batlabs plus found volumes of useful information in the older threads. I like to pay it forward whenever I can.
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

if I remember correctly, the CPS Pro Series doesn't take into account the serial number of the receiving radio, as long as its the same model you will be fine, software for the CP200 will make you clone the radio instead of writing direct.

Return to “Radio Programming”