HT1000 Think i blew the final output stage

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Lake Trader
New User

HT1000 Think i blew the final output stage

Post by Lake Trader »

Hi, I was trying to measure the output on my HT1000 when I saw a quick blip on the meter and then nothing. When I try to transmit, the lite first turns red, beeps and then turns green. I went back over my set up and found the dummy load was not completely secure. Is there anything I can do here. I have other parts radios and would really like to get this radio fixed due its cosmetic condition. Any suggestions out there? Grateful for any help.

Jim
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: HT1000 Think i blew the final output stage

Post by Wowbagger »

I don't think you blew the output for a couple of reasons:
1) most HT style outputs don't hit high enough voltage to damage themselves if unloaded.
2) Most modern transmitters (i.e. not tube amps) that could generate such voltages will have fold-back circuits to prevent that.
3) If you'd blown the output I think the radio would still try to transmit - it wouldn't switch back to receive.

Were you on a system that could have stunned your radio, or were you on a simplex frequency? Could it be your TX button is iffy and not making full contact? Could your battery be low?
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

That doesn't sound like a bad PA, that sounds like a bad battery (not enough current to transmit). What you describe is the power cycling off then back on when you go to key up. Usually see this when a battery is old and has insufficient current available to transmit.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Guys, you were right on the money. I thought I was fairly knowledgeable about radios and batteries. I tried 2 different batteries on this radio. One measured over 8 volts and the other about 7.8. After reading your comments, I went back and tried a 3rd battery and voila, success.

Thank you for getting me thinking, but I am still stumped about the bad batteries.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

FWIW measuring battery voltage without the load of the transmitter can really only tell you a battery is bad, and not good. 8 volts no load might be 4 volts with load

Return to “Radio Programming”