XTS3000 programming cable confusion

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wa6jbd

XTS3000 programming cable confusion

Post by wa6jbd »

I'm hoping that my confusion can be resolved relatively quickly and painlessly...

I have an XTS3000. I have CPS. I have a RIB and what Google search results tells me is the proper cable - RKN4035D.

I cannot, for the life of me, get CPS to talk to the radio with that cable. The RKN4035D has been tested and works on HT1000, MTX9000, MTS2000. I'm clear on the fact that the XTS3K uses Astro Saber CPS, and Jedi programming cables. 4 different cables have been tested, several RIBs, and two computers running CPS. Everything works in every combination except RKN4035D cables and XTS3000's. The error message is "Communication with radio failed". The radio itself doesn't bat an eye.

Out of pure dumb luck, I had previously ordered a Kawamall ribless cable for use with an EFJ5100. As luck would have it, I ordered the wrong cable and instead I received their ribless cable for the MTS2000. Lucky me, this cable talks to the XTS3K just fine. I suppose this makes my question purely academic, but I'd still like to know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Mel - WA6JBD
kd5ual

Re: XTS3000 programming cable confusion

Post by kd5ual »

RKN4035D is the correct cable for the XTS3000
have you tried using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the accessory connector and cable?
wendell
sjxts3000
No Longer Registered

Post by sjxts3000 »

I've used the RIB-less cable on a WinXP system with a serial port and it works just fine... for XTS3000 and MTS2000. I've used a similar RIB-less cable (from Kawamall) for the XTS5000 also on a serial port on my WinXP system and have had no issues.

I've read and written to these radios many times without fail. Never bricked a single one. The RIB-less cable worked just fine for that application. I understand /\/\ and others guys here recommend the RIB setup, but for simple reading and writing of codeplugs, I can't seem spending over $100 for that cable setup. Seems overkill.
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

Thanks for the replies...

@kd5ual - I haven't tried cleaning contacts. The RIB, cables and radio are in near pristine condition. The cables and RIB are known working with other types of radios. The radio and CPS is known working with a ribless cable. So, there's been no indication of things like dirty contacts.

@sjxtd3000 - it's not a $ issue, nor is it a confidence issue in the ribless cable. It's more trying to understand exactly what the problem is. I have multiple cables, including the ribless Kawamall cable. It works just fine. The "proper" cables don't work, the "cheap Chinese" cable does. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

Have you metered out the connections? Not every wire is used for the different radios you tested so you can't assume that all connections are good if it works on one radio.
kd5ual

Post by kd5ual »

What is your programming platform what OS and does it have a real serial port?
wendell
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

@Astro Spectra - Yes, I've ohmed out 4 different cables. All check good when compared to a RKN4035D schematic. All produce identical results.

@ kd5ual - Windows XP SP3 on a CF-51 Toughbook, and a generic desktop running a Pent 4 3.8 GHz, with 3 gb ram. Both have real serial ports (with dual boot to DOS for my Spectras, etc.) CPS is Astro Saber and XTS3000 R05.03.00. Both will read/write to the XTS3000 with the Kawamall -ribless cable just fine. The one thing I haven't been able to check... I only have one XTS3000 to play with. I have no clue how all this would behave with a different radio.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

When you changed cables from the USB to serial cable and RIB, did you go into the CPS and change the port to match?

Jim
wa6jbd

Post by wa6jbd »

@jim202 - Good thought, but that's not it. The ribless cable is a serial type, not USB. Everything plugs into Com1. I have gone into the device manager, and looked at the status of the serial port with the various cables plugged in and it just says it's Com1 and it's working. Both computers, btw, have just a single com port.

To convince myself it really IS working, I can load, say, Astro Spectra CPS, and talk to radios through Com1, close it, and open the XTS3000 CPS and talk to the XTS3K through Com1 using the ribless cable.

At this point, I expect to remain stumped, but got the answer I really needed... I do indeed have the right cables. I'm open to any and all other suggestions, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over this one. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Return to “Radio Programming”