Programming help

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

daubrey

Programming help

Post by daubrey »

I have recently acquired some xpr3300 and some ht1250 radios, all in the same band. I need to have them all on the same frequencies. I used to play around with programming - about 15 years ago- and still have a RIB box. I would like to program them myself, but have not kept up with requirements. Suggestions?
bstafford
New User

Re: Programming help

Post by bstafford »

You don't need a rib for either of those. The xpr uses USB and for the ht1250 there are both USB or serial cables available cheap enough with no rib needed.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

The XPR radios are totally different from anything you programmed 15 years ago. Also most modern radios do not use a rib any more. My XPR programming cable uses a USB connector, & my 1250 cable uses a serial port, but neither uses a rib. But today there is You Tube to watch, & learn. Good luck.
motofreak008

Post by motofreak008 »

You may still use your RIB to program if you would like to. Sometimes, that is the only way that will work as the ribless cables have issues communicating with the radios at times. But, they have improved over time and have become more reliable. I can't say I've ever had an issue with the USB cable that I have for my HT1250. But you do not use or need the RIB for the XPR3300 at all.

If you want to stick with the RIB, the part number you will need for the HT1250 programming cable is RKN4074B. But a quick Google or eBay search will bring up many results for ribless cables. The software that you will need is called "Professional Series CPS". The last version, it's a discontinued line, that Motorola made and released is 06.12.09, however if you plan on programming amateur radio frequencies into your radio or any other wideband frequencies, you will need to get an entitlement ID from Motorola to allow you to program 25khz channels. You can also try to get version 06.12.05, if I remember the version # correctly, and not have to get the entitlement ID as that was the last version that allowed 25khz programming.

For the XPR3300, the programming cable that you need is the PMKN4115B; it appears to be a pretty affordable cable for Motorola pricing standards. That radio requires the "MOTOTRBO CPS" software to program it and again, you will need an entitlement ID for 25khz programming.
daubrey

Post by daubrey »

Great info! Not wanting to do any 25khz, just want all radios on same frequencies. Is there a source for the two different softwares?
motofreak008

Post by motofreak008 »

The legal and legitimate source is MOL, https://businessonline.motorolasolutions.com for your software needs. You can purchase the cables from many different sources. This would be the recommended route for the MOTOTRBO software especially as you will purchase a license that will give you access to the latest and greatest software and radio firmware updates, but it is pricey.

But a search through the interwebs will yield some results that you can obtain copies of both software, but download and use at your own risk. The rules on this board forbid me from offering software to you and I'm not gonna push it by giving you sources outright.

Motorola has recently released a new version of MOTOTRBO CPS, version 16, and I'd be willing to bet that you're probably not going to find that version "in the wild" as they say. So again, MOL is your best, most legal and legitimate option. If you need help programming, feel free to reach out to me or post on the board, but MOTOTRBO is fairly straightforward and the help files are usually a great source.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

And yet here it is. Everything is always on E-Bay. GARY
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-Progr ... .TRS2.TSS1
motofreak008

Post by motofreak008 »

Hm. Well good thing I'm not much of a betting person.

Wonder if Motorola keeps an eye on these auctions and who's buying?
daubrey

Post by daubrey »

So I have tried to program the xpr3300 to match frequencies on the ht1250, but no luck. I have the frequencies correct but unable to transmit & receive. What might I be missing?
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I would look at the tone squelch or digital squelch the radios are set to.

Have you tried to force the radios into carrier squelch or monitor to see if you are actually on the same frequencies?

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”