Motorola P-1225

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

yardbirdjr

Motorola P-1225

Post by yardbirdjr »

Hello!

I have a few Radius P-1225 portables

I am having the hardest time trying to read them.

I have the correct software and cables.

Some reason the computer will allow me to read them.

I am using DOS for the application, but still want read.

Any ideas and suggestions would greatly appreciated

Thanks

David
Victor Xray

Re: Motorola P-1225

Post by Victor Xray »

Did you try the Windows version of the CPS? I was not aware there was a DOS version for the 1225 series. Forewarning, the Windows version will not run on anything higher than Win98. I had to setup a dual boot partition with Win98 just to maintain a GR1225 repeater.
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

1225 CPS V4 runs fine on Windows XP.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

I think the version that works is 3.0, but in the text description it mentions version 3.1 build 2. So not sure.

Another problem that you can run into is dirty contacts on the radio. I do not recommend that the use of a pencil eraser on the contacts. Those contacts are gold plated and it will not take much eraser to remove the plating. Then you will really have a problem. I normally just use my shirt or a rag and a little pressure to take the crud off the contacts. This also goes for the programming cable pins.

The next question is what are you using for a programming cable? I have made my own out of a speaker mic cable and moved a couple of pins around in the connector going to the radio. Then put a DB15 connector on the other end to fit the serial connector on the computer. DFon't forget that you have to tell the software which com port your using. Generally it will be COM1.

One big question is the issue of just how your using DOS on the computer. Being that this is an older radio, the computer needs a slow clock speed. Like in the order of 500 to about 900 MHz max. None of this trying to cheat and run DOS Box under something like Windows XP, Win-7 or above. It just won't work well at all. Then there are those that are trying to use a USB to serial adapter. That just won't work well on the older radios that the software was wrote for slow clock speed computers using pure DOS on the computer.

Not trying to be a know it all, but these are the facts trying to program the old radios. I have a number of real old Motorola radios and am constantly on the lookout for real old computers that I can use for programming them with. I stop at all the computer repair stores around and ask them if they just might have one of the old clunkers stashed on a shelf. Normally they kind of laugh at me, but now and then I luck out and find one. You need to use them now and then to keep them functional. The big problem is the electrolytic caps go bad and short out.

You can find a site on the Internet that have a copy of DOS that you can download and put on the computer. This way you will have a clean copy of DOS on the computer. Just remember that DOS can not use any hard drive over 80 GB in size. It has to be formatted with the FAT32 format.

Jim
yardbirdjr

Post by yardbirdjr »

Thanks for the replies.

I will try all options

Thanks

David
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I realize this post is 4 months old as I reply.
Im posting to add info for anyone in the future.
No there is NOT a P1225 / M1225 DOS based program .
There was however a program made that you ran on a DOS 6.2 computer with windows 3.1 installed.
I have a older 386sx/16 MHz clock speed Dos computer with the Win 3.1 P1225 / M1225 program in it.
You access it from the Dos c prompt by CD\ Win enter then it should display the change and you then type in WINDOWS enter that and windows 3.1 opens and its here youd need to install the p1225/m1225 program previously to see it on the monitor to access by clicking on it with your curser arrow and mouse.
It does work but its so so so dang slow that id recommend the true windows version for windows 95 or windows 98 with faster clock speed.
The same program is intended for win 3.1 / Win 95 ? and Win98 so its the same one for all.
The last newest version to my knowledge was software version R04.00.00 released in yr 2000 and still as of 2007 same spo no updated version after that
the most current program as I see the info given.
Satelite
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello
Cant edit correction.
The ? further into the reply above wasn't spose to be ?
it was meant to be a /
Clarifying again = The same program for win 3.1 is the same for Win 95 /Win 98
Satelite
sataraid1

Post by sataraid1 »

As mentioned above, version 4 runs fine on XP, and will run on virtually any kind of processor, so no need to play the "how slow can you go" game. In fact the RSS for most "mainstream" Motorola products that use it was updated to be Pentium (and above) compatible in their later versions.

I've done a lot of 1225 programming over the years, but I use a Moto RIB and programming cable. If the OP is still trying to get this to work, I'll offer any assistance I can.

Return to “Radio Programming”