APX Trunking System Affiliation Data

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Adealia
New User

APX Trunking System Affiliation Data

Post by Adealia »

I was looking through the APX CPS and learning a lot more about how trunking systems work. The question I have is in regards to what is shared to a trunking system controller. So far I am aware that the WACN and System ID are needed (which requires a valid system key) to be on the system. Then the "Unit ID" is what defines that particular radio on the system, is there any other parameters (serial number, alias, etc) that are shared/viewed by a trunked system?
Karl NVW

Re: APX Trunking System Affiliation Data

Post by Karl NVW »

An internally programmed unique ID field might also be shared, in order to provide positive verification that the sending radio is indeed authorized on the system and carries the other detected unit ID. Different network security management products may do that in different ways.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
Adealia
New User

Post by Adealia »

Thanks for the reply Karl, is this unique ID field mentioned the same as a Unit ID or it something separate? It seems to me that a system would be easily compromised by unprotected (non-password protected) CPS cloning or even scanning for that specific unit ID.

I would suspect something to being used in addition to the unit ID, such as the ESN which would be specific and hardcoded to that particular subscriber unit. Is that the case?
Karl NVW

Post by Karl NVW »

As a recent ex-Mo, I can't answer your questions or discuss details of specific security methods that might be usable. I will only say that your general security analysis is reasonably accurate.
Karl - WA8NVW AFA5VB
SHARES + NCS
Adealia
New User

Post by Adealia »

Thanks again Karl. My assumption also is that it's system dependent based on capabilities of that system. No reply needed unless you have more insight that is safe to share and relevant.

Return to “Radio Programming”