Astro 25 Portable CPS crashing while trying to disable FPP zones

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Ns0mniac
New User

Astro 25 Portable CPS crashing while trying to disable FPP zones

Post by Ns0mniac »

Hey y'all, hope you're staying safe amidst the current ridiculousness. This is my first post here so I'll do a little introduction but I'll keep it brief:
I'm an infantryman in the Marine Corps but any former or current service members will know that everyone in the military has more than one job, one of my many jobs is being a radio operator and technician for my section. I mostly work with Harris radios using SINCGARS but I do program XTS2500's and PRC 153's for work. Got into radios for recreation, got an amateur license, love Motorola radios and wish they were more Ham friendly, but back on topic:

I'm working with an XTS5000 model III that has federal/FCC FPP enabled with the most recent firmware, DSP, all that good stuff, if needed I can go more in depth about this radio but I think this is a problem with CPS so I won't unless someone asks. My computer is running Windows 10 64 bit. Using CPS R 20.01.00 I open the zone channel assignment on the tree view, I go to the FPP/protection tab on zone 15 (highest zone number programmed) and I uncheck the box for FPP. CPS provides me with the warning saying it will delete the channels if I disable FPP in that zone (which is what I want, attempting to delete all but two zones of FPP) but then after I get the hourglass icon for a few seconds (like 20) CPS closes with no warning, crash report from windows or anything like that. I tried reinstalling it, I tried it with a freshly read codeplug from my radio and with a codeplug from my hard drive, always closes out when I try to disable FPP. I have not been successful finding someone with the same problem on the internet.

Any ideas?
Ns0mniac
New User

Re: Astro 25 Portable CPS crashing while trying to disable FPP zones

Post by Ns0mniac »

For anyone who's reading this and looking to help here's my event viewer log:

Faulting application name: PatPort.exe, version: 20.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x530c4c3c
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x045e7d90
Faulting process id: 0x234c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d614e53724790c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Motorola\ASTRO 25 Products\ASTRO 25 Portable CPS\PatPort.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: c04945c7-c546-45dc-83d6-c22072a5fa66
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for looking!
Ns0mniac
New User

Post by Ns0mniac »

SOLVED!

Came across a post on another forum where a technician stated that he was able to delete FPP zones on a fresh, new codeplug but could not on one that was populated. Couldn't track down or generate a clean codeplug so I went through by hand and reset every single setting to factory for my radio. Once I did that I was able to uncheck the box for FPP on the last FPP zone without causing CPS to crash, then I could delete the zone. Went through and was able to remove every zone of FPP except for the first one, decided I only need one.

Posted this here so hopefully if someone has the same problem in the future they can fix it. Pretty sure all I had to do was reset all the "Zone Channel Assignment" fields for ALL the zones to factory defaults (channel picklist is your friend), but I went overboard and did all the conventional personality settings and some other stuff too. Oh well, it worked so no worries!
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Nice catch. I knew we could generate a radio and delete empty zones but obviously there is a fault in the CPS, probably doesn't know what to do with the zone/channel info if not blank and crashes.

Return to “Radio Programming”