Radius M10 UHF

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

J2Mbat
New User

Radius M10 UHF

Post by J2Mbat »

Good Morning, I have a question regarding a Motorola Radius M10 UHF radio.
I can connect to the radio and successfully read the code plug and even write a new code plug to the radio, but the radio dose not RX or TX
It did work at one time and I can not remember what happened, It may have been due to incorrect wiring on the 16 pin connector but so long ago I don't quite recall. Just curious what could be wrong or if it is even worth fixing?

Thank You for your input

James
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Re: Radius M10 UHF

Post by PETNRDX »

Are you programming frequencies that are way off of where the VCO's might be?
Like if the radio was on 460 and you try to put in ham 440 frequencies, you will have to lower the VCO tuning to get them to lock.
If the VCO's are unlocked, there will be no receive and no transmit.
No other indications.
Open the radio, take the VCO cover off and look for a little white stenciling of SL and a little round contact next to it.
That is the Steering Line test point.
Put a voltmeter between that SL point to ground and see if it is between 2 volts and 8 volts.
If above or below that, your VCO is unlocked.
The RX is the voltage while in receive, and the TX voltage will read when you try to transmit.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Also you have to jumper the two pins that are closest to the outside of the radio.
Jumper the top on to the bottom one.
A typical Berg jumper from computer boards will work in a pinch if you don't have the accessory plug that goes to that 16 pin socket.
Steve K.
J2Mbat
New User

Post by J2Mbat »

Yes, I have jumper on correct pins and Reading 3.7v on SL while in RX mode and it goes down to 3.5v while I TX
The radio did work at one time as I was using it as an IRLP radio on a UHF simplex channel
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

J2Mbat wrote:Good Morning, I have a question regarding a Motorola Radius M10 UHF radio.
I can connect to the radio and successfully read the code plug and even write a new code plug to the radio, but the radio dose not RX or TX
It did work at one time and I can not remember what happened, It may have been due to incorrect wiring on the 16 pin connector but so long ago I don't quite recall. Just curious what could be wrong or if it is even worth fixing?

Thank You for your input

James
James - are you sure you didn't make a mistake on the model number.
I find plenty of M100 models and when searching on M10 find NOTHING
fineshot1
NJ USA
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

The M-10 is a single freq low tier version of GM-300.
Steve K.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

PETNRDX wrote:The M-10 is a single freq low tier version of GM-300.
Google search after google search showed up ZERO on the Radius M-10 hence my post above.
fineshot1
NJ USA
J2Mbat
New User

Post by J2Mbat »

I managed to get the TX working, traced back to a broken wire on the mic connector inside radio.
The Radio still however dose not RX at all, I hear no beep when you turn it on, and no audio from internal speaker, No audio from 16pin connector either when interfaced with my IRLP node. It dose TX the audio but no audio from net is received.
It definitely says Radius m10 on the front panel and has only an ON/OFF dial/volume knob on front. Back serial plate shows model:M34XVC20F3AA
And yes I believe it is based on the GM300, just a single channel UHF radio using boards HLE8300A, HLN8074C, & not sure on the PA board number
Just trying to track down the right schematics for the boards so I can trace the signal path.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

Check the VCO voltage.
If the VCO is unlocked, then you get no sound even with the speaker connected.
I can tell you that there really is an M-10, as I have worked on dozens of them.
Steve K.
PETNRDX

Post by PETNRDX »

I just googled "Motorola radius M-10" and the first seven hits show the M-10.
Steve K.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

PETNRDX wrote:I just googled "Motorola radius M-10" and the first seven hits show the M-10.
Since the OP did not ever use the dash like you did I did not search with the dash.
What the OP shows above = "Motorola Radius M10 UHF radio"
fineshot1
NJ USA
J2Mbat
New User

Post by J2Mbat »

Checked and Adj. VCO for band split 438-470 and all is good,
Thinking it may be in the PA ?

Return to “Radio Programming”