MCS2K, MTS2K, LCS2K, LTS2K, GTX 902 ham Conversion

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xmo

Post by xmo »

Shaun,

Thanks for your extensive report. It's good to see that you are having fun with 900.

My freinds and I have the same observation - if you get a good repeater site - the results can be outstanding.

BTW - I can recommend 900 meg MSF5000 as an excellent repeater - goes into the ham band with no hassle - just program it & touch up the aligment [as you would for any frequency change] & you're good to go.
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

r0f, there is a ham in our town who has an MSF5000 on 902, and he's got 5 or 6 simulcasting TXers, plus a similar number of satellite RXers. He's REALLY into 902 and Motorola stuff. The MSF5000 is perfect for 902 Ham ops.

Larry

P.S. I'm dissappointed in you, r0f....using ANALOG/non-ASTRO stuff! Tisk, tisk, tisk!!!
xmo

Post by xmo »

"I encourage others (hams?) out there to experiment with uncharted waters too! Even if it doesn't work, it's really fun. We've had a blast to date. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two meters was like that way back when. The appliance ops were all on HF and the only way to get on 2 FM was converted commercial gear.

That opportunity exists now on 900. You get a group together and start experimenting. Everybody doesn't have to be super technical - but whoever does get on is going to have to want to learn a little something.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

I've got to say that batlabs had a dry period for a while, where there wasn't too much interesting info on here. But I think thats changed in recent weeks.

This was one interesting project that you guys had - especially since I have a small stack of GTX mobiles and a MTX9000 here myself that I am going to put into service for a project or two. I've also been lucky enough to have some commercial 900 antennas removed from service dropped right into my lap.

Once again there is no 900 Mhz stuff going on in my state, except for the GE guys off in one corner of the state (Lynchburg, VA).

The guys from K8SN at dayton had a really nice portable repeater setup there - Maxtrac 800 for receiver, Maxtrac 900 modified for tx, a model 30 zetron worldpatch for controller, and duplexer all in a nice portable box.

Anyway, I'll keep watching and contribute what I can.

Jay
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

xmo...

You guys still running the MSF at 2.5 KHz deviation? also, are there narrowband filters in the front end of the thing that would have to be changed to accept anything more that 2.5-3KHz of mobile audio? I maintain a bunch of the things on 900 but I've never delved into the IF section.

Dave
RidgeRunner

Post by RidgeRunner »

r0f I know what you mean a while back it seemed that most people out there are not interested in project. Fortunatly I met anther ham who likes a good project. Thing about it now we have so many irons in the fire we have to prioritize things!
xmo

Post by xmo »

"You guys still running the MSF at 2.5 KHz deviation?"
-------------------------------------------------------------

All our mobiles and portables are also narrowband [Maxtrac / Spectra / Jedi] so we left everything that way. We just try to make sure everything is set to deviate a tad more than normal. If you figure your max at just under 3 and keep the average modulation over 2 you aren't that far off from what most 5 KHz systems get anyway.

If you had to run +/-5 you could change the 21.4 IF filters for ones from an 800 station - or maybe replace the entire uniboard.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Thanks for posting your info! Jim (screenname: Radioslut) and me have been experimenting here in the Raleigh N.C. area . We are using a GTX portable with a Radio Shack simplex repeater maker and have been able to get about 6 miles away from it with it located on a building about 375 Ft.
it would be nice if one of the Ham gear manufactuers would market some decent 900 gear, sooner or later the FCC is gonna want that spectrum if it's not put to use by us!

Frank
AD4XE
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

similar group out here would be interested if we could only find enough 900Mhz mobiles and portables that will convert easily.

Couple MCS2000 would be great.

Then off to find a MSF!
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

This is some great info, Shaun....

A small, grassroots group here is trying to get some hardware together to play on 900, since 144/440 is plugged up with goons around the Milwaukee Metro area.

We've got the sites to put up a decent system, but not the equipment. GTX mobiles, huh? Okay...at least I know what to look for now.

Keep up the info!!
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

gtx mobile

Post by kb9suy »

Can you take the gtx mobiles an make them into a repeater like the gm300's an maxtrac's. just wondering.
d119

Post by d119 »

Yeah, you can make a repeater out of two GTX mobiles, but...

1. It's going to be deaf - they don't have any sensitivity in the 902 receive region, as indicated above.

2. It's extremely difficult to get a COS line out of, and I don't think anyone's found a way to get PL detect out of them without using the audio enable line. I do it using an external PL decoder, but mine receives in 926-927 simplex (control RX).

3. The accessory connectors do not have programmable I/O lines like the Maxtrac, GM and CDM mobiles do. There's no PL detect or COS back there.

Best bet for a repeater is probably modified 16-pin conventional 900MHz MaxTrac mobiles.

-d
Seth

Post by Seth »

Nothong more on the LTS-2000 ??? is it similar to the GTX900 ... ?? but just poor on the Tx ..
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Seth wrote:Nothong more on the LTS-2000 ??? is it similar to the GTX900 ... ?? but just poor on the Tx ..

I always thought the GTX an lts were pretty much the same radio Seth. I've heard of people using lab to convert GTX's to LTS to get more channles.

Frank
Tech225

Post by Tech225 »

Shaun, slightly off-topic, but who is that in your avatar? Looks familiar but I can't place it.
boomboy64
What radios do you own?: XTS3000, Astro Saber III

Post by boomboy64 »

On behalf of all Canadians, I am flabbergasted that someone doesn't recognize Ricky, from that work of art, 'Trailer Park Boys'. A truly shining gem on what is otherwise a wasted medium...

Sulking back into my corner... :cry:

Dan
VE4EOD
KE4NYVJR
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu

Post by KE4NYVJR »

Myself and 3 friends are building a 900 repeater right now in Roanoke, Virginia. Go to http://www.ke4nyv.com/900repeater.htm to check out what we have done so far. We're trying to adopt the convention in this area of a a 25MHz split on the repeater pair as well as 2.5 Dev and 100 Hz PL.

Two of us have GTX mobiles and we are pretty happy with them so far. The TX deviation is a little low, but not bad. We have about 5 or 6 more friends looking to buy some spectras to get on, once we get the machine up and going. We did a simplex test mobile to mobile and we kind of disapointed, not much better than a mile or so. That of course could be based on many factors: Antennas (Gain), obsticles (line of sight), power and loss in the coax.

I need a couple portables to do some testing. Jim??? Are you around? Did you get my PM?

We're having fun so far :D
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
KE4NYVJR
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu

Re: gtx mobile

Post by KE4NYVJR »

kb9suy wrote:Can you take the gtx mobiles an make them into a repeater like the gm300's an maxtrac's. just wondering.
Nope, that was my original idea for our repeater too, but the GTX is basically deaf at 902MHz so that hoses you for using one as the RX side.
Jason KE4NYV
Motorola Solutions ST
Seth

GTX HT cable question

Post by Seth »

any one use a set up like this ??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 27588&rd=1

the Ht adapter has a 9V battery clip too .. and is not regulated to 7.5V like is sujested on this site... question is .. is it ok to use a 9V battery.. or better to get a 7.5V regulator in there ...
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I used to buy stuff from that jackass. His products are absolute JUNK. I soldered better than that when I was 10 years old. If you value your radios, add him to your eBay blocked seller list quickly.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Seth

Hello????

Post by Seth »

(sigh) but that still didnt answer my question ...
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

rib

Post by Jim2121 »

Seth, I would have to agree with Matt above! If I needed a rib & cables. I would get it from "M" or better yet Monty! As I have set up a few ppl. with Montys gear. thats quality! I too, had problems with the seller. And no, I won't use it...
Seth

how about an answer .. not a opinion

Post by Seth »

i cant dispute the previous replies ... its not so good.. but the soldering job is fair now ...

what i want to know.. can u use 9V instaed of the sujested 7.5V ???

If u know the answer .. please reply ... if you haev an opinion (spelling X2) thats good too ...

BTY .. what is monty's user name on Ebay... got a link to his stuff??

Its had to know what is good quality and what is not.. from pictures..
Seth

power error #5

Post by Seth »

ok .. does the radio need to be on for this to work read/write .. ect?

Iv probably have the wrong com port .. but getv4 comes up with com1 .. hummm ..
Seth

rock and roll !!!!

Post by Seth »

Ok . well yep was the wrong com port .. had the bios set wrong.. once set to com1 .. read fine.. and the radio needs to be ON!!!!

also .. seems to work with a 9V powering the radio ....

so ill updatre as i go .. bty .. just read the codplug from an HT...
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Re: how about an answer .. not a opinion

Post by Jim2121 »

[quote="Seth"]i cant dispute the previous replies ... its not so good.. but the soldering job is fair now ...

what i want to know.. can u use 9V instaed of the sujested 7.5V ???

If u know the answer .. please reply ... if you haev an opinion (spelling X2) thats good too ...

BTY .. what is monty's user name on Ebay... got a link to his stuff??

Its had to know what is good quality and what is not.. from pictures..[/quote]

Need help on a Program Cable or (/\/\) Rib Box ?
Contact me anytime/All availible / Free Support Info !
mail to: MSisco9939@aol.com

Batlab user name: Monty
Seth

Ohhh-- Bother

Post by Seth »

OK .. new question ..

Why cant i enter the national simplex call .. 927.500 ???(iv seen this question before .. just dont rememeber the answer)

does all entrys need to be devisible by 6.125 like the 9894 EF Johnsons??

Iv managed to hack the MDF to allow full ham .. now where in the world is the locations for the indevidual entered frequencys in the A866FYC4.744 file that the GTXV4 generates when u read a radio ...??? mabey hack that to get 927.500 ??
Seth

Re: Ohhh-- Bother

Post by Seth »

Seth wrote:OK .. new question ..

Why cant i enter the national simplex call .. 927.500 ???(iv seen this question before .. just dont rememeber the answer)

does all entrys need to be devisible by 6.125 like the 9894 EF Johnsons??

Iv managed to hack the MDF to allow full ham .. now where in the world is the locations for the indevidual entered frequencys in the A866FYC4.744 file that the GTXV4 generates when u read a radio ...??? mabey hack that to get 927.500 ??

Ok .. i got it .. needed to Properly hack the MDF ... i have version 4.00.1 rss .. and the location of the hack is different than what aa2ls shows .. but he used ver 4.00.00b ... ill post soon on where in hex you make the change from ..
fineshot1

MCS2000 CPS

Post by fineshot1 »

1. Has anyone done the band limit changes on the MCS CPS yet? I have two MCS2000 Model 1 900Mhz radios but I only have CPS R01.12.00 and would like to use these to build a repeater. I have looked through the files in the CPS app and cant find the band limits any where.
2. Can you actually do the changes without risking any problems with the CPS app?

Thanks....Dan n2aym
fineshot1
NJ USA
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Your best bet would be to simply find a codeplug that works in RSS 6.07 or lower and put that in to the radio. You might have to clone it in.

That way, you can modify the bandlimits in the DOS RSS in order to program the radio where you desire.

I am not sure, but I believe you can rollback a MCS to DOS RSS - but i'm not 100% sure since I don't advocate CPS when a perfectly good copy of RSS will do the trick. I do not believe they are backwards compatable.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
k7pfj
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Yeasu

900MHZ GTX Mobile

Post by k7pfj »

What is your trick on getting the radio to play in the 902-928 band. Is there a way to bring out pl as well as cor and the particullar RX audio PTT and Mic in off the 16pin connector.

Thanks,

Mike K7PFJ
fineshot1

MCS2000 Model 1 900Mhz Problem

Post by fineshot1 »

OK folks - here is my scenario. I have 2 M01WGL4PW4AN radios. I am using RSS 5.05.00 and can read one with no problem. The other one I get "code plug too new" error message. I am almost sure this one that I cannot read was programmed with CPS software. I tried cloning and limited clone with no success - same error. What are my options - is there any way to blank the radio and start from zero so I can use the RSS or am I outta luck with it. I wanted to use these to build a repeater but this road block seems to be impossible to overcome. Thanks for any info in advance.....fineshot1
fineshot1
NJ USA
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Are they the same flashcode? You should be able to clone the older codeplug as long as both the model number & flashcode are the same. Otherwise, you'll get a 'feature set mis-match' error. Other than that, there's no other way to 'roll back' the RSS version the radio was last programmed with.

The latest version of MCS RSS is 5.08.00, although that just came out. 5.07.00 would likely suit you just fine.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Sorry - I dont know what flash code these radios have. The flash code for some strange reason is not on the model/sn labels of these radios. Both of these radios have all the same numbers on all of the labels that are intact so I am assuming they are the same flash code.
fineshot1
NJ USA
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

fineshot1 wrote:Sorry - I dont know what flash code these radios have. The flash code for some strange reason is not on the model/sn labels of these radios. Both of these radios have all the same numbers on all of the labels that are intact so I am assuming they are the same flash code.
What error do you get when trying to clone? If it says 'feature mis-match' or similar, then the flashcodes are different. If it gives the 'codeplug too new' error or similar, then it appears you're somewhat screwed & need the later RSS. Also, it may need a 'system key' before it allows the cloning...the error should indicate that if that's the problem.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I have been getting the " code plug too new " error when trying to " read, clone or limited clone " from the radio I can read to the radio I cannot read
from. Well - perhaps all is not lost. I can at least use the one radio for either a exciter or receiver and perhaps I will come across another radio such as a D27 or D37 maxtrac or something else I can use for the other.
I am still collecting parts so I have time. Thanks Todd......fineshot1
wavetar wrote:
fineshot1 wrote:Sorry - I dont know what flash code these radios have. The flash code for some strange reason is not on the model/sn labels of these radios. Both of these radios have all the same numbers on all of the labels that are intact so I am assuming they are the same flash code.
What error do you get when trying to clone? If it says 'feature mis-match' or similar, then the flashcodes are different. If it gives the 'codeplug too new' error or similar, then it appears you're somewhat screwed & need the later RSS. Also, it may need a 'system key' before it allows the cloning...the error should indicate that if that's the problem.

Todd
fineshot1
NJ USA
drsm0ke

Post by drsm0ke »

test
Last edited by drsm0ke on Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

No - i have not. Recently I have been collecting other parts and at present I have not paid much attention to the programming, I will email you. Thanks.....dan n2aym
fineshot1
NJ USA
drsm0ke

Post by drsm0ke »

fineshot1 wrote:No - i have not. Recently I have been collecting other parts and at present I have not paid much attention to the programming, I will email you. Thanks.....dan n2aym
hi dan

check your mail you should have a cps solution in your box.

break out those mcs2000 900 mhz unit and enjoy!!!!

bob, n0euh
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

007 wrote:This is some great info, Shaun....

A small, grassroots group here is trying to get some hardware together to play on 900, since 144/440 is plugged up with goons around the Milwaukee Metro area.

We've got the sites to put up a decent system, but not the equipment. GTX mobiles, huh? Okay...at least I know what to look for now.

Keep up the info!!
=)) You get K9IZV to listen to...poor you!

Never go to dinner with that guy...he figures YOUR tip for your bill, and doesn't mind telling you about it either...very poor personality trait of his.

Warren, or as we know him as: Boring Warren of the 146.910 repeater.
AKA: Jammer central.

Some poor schmuck will find your 900 machine and start jamming that also, if someone they know and despise begins using it.

Maybe Gene Haney of the Lakeshore machine in Racine has some input on that.
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

No, I don't. I don't own a radio with 91 programmed in it, and I live too far away from it to care anyway.

Yeah, IZV is a trip. You should have heard the stink he made when the board elected not to use his call sign on the repeater ID. Warren must have thought he was entitled to it since he has been trustee so long.

:roll:
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

007 wrote:No, I don't. I don't own a radio with 91 programmed in it, and I live too far away from it to care anyway.

Yeah, IZV is a trip. You should have heard the stink he made when the board elected not to use his call sign on the repeater ID. Warren must have thought he was entitled to it since he has been trustee so long.

:roll:
Poor Warren......I wonder if he's still as 'scruffy' looking as he was years ago.

Looked as if he never ironed anything, and wore two sizes larger as well...to 'grow' into them if you will.

Aside from Milwaukee, I do miss FishFar though and the SARA machine south of the cheddar line....and Grayslake, Ill hamfest!

Thanks for helping me relive some of the good times there!

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”