900 mhz jedi software mod

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

900 mhz jedi software mod

Post by willbartlett »

Hi All. A friend of mine got an mtx9000 that would not tx on repeat or direct. Being fairly motivated, he dug up the correct spot in lab 2 to fix the problem.

In the labware, in labtools 1, there will be an entry for fractional-n synthesizer , f5 I believe. What you are looking at is the hex values for some comparator voltages in the vco control software. the upper left item,TX cp bias, is a setting for the crossover point between the repeat and direct VCO's. If you shift the value down in steps of 500, i.e. if the radio has a value of 6B80 (like mine) try moving it down to say 6800, then down to 6400 then down to 6000. you will need to write the codeplug between each value change. if you reach a point at which the radio will now tx on your lowest freq. then you are set. go too low and the reciever will unlock. On the top right side of the page is the setting for the direct mode. Mine locked fine on repeat (25 meg offset here, thankfully) but not on direct. I shifted the top right value down to 6000 even and all is well now.
thehead7

Post by thehead7 »

That's handy... I've got a few MTS2Ks that won't lock up where I want them. I hadn't had a chance to attack that particular problem, but now it'll be a bit easier...

Now, if only there were a simple front end filter adjustment (I know, ain't happening.) I think I've come accross one who's front end rolls off too high to use...

Thanks,
Head
n7slc

Post by n7slc »

Will this modification result in a tool-proofing error?
thehead7

Post by thehead7 »

I think it might. It would seem, however, that the problem with the VCO lock on 900 is with older radios...

Supposedly, any time that you write to a post-toolproof controller with LAB it is supposed to toolproof... I haven't tried it, as everything I have is pre-toolproof.

-Head
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

I've got a couple of MTX9000's I'd love to adjust the TX VCO crossover point on but, my Labtools (version 3 I believe) won't let me do it. I see the option but, it says something like "not needed on this model" or something like that.

Would Labtools 1 let me do something that 3 is not?

I'm stuck and would REALLY like to get my TalkAround working.

Thanks,

John
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
xmo

Post by xmo »

You are looking in the wrong place.

First read your radio [F3 - F2]

Then go to: "F4 - Change View"

Then pick: "F9 - Labtool Configuration Menu"

Next pick: "F2 - Labtool Configuration 1"

That is where you will find the F5 selection mentioned in the original post.

BE CAREFUL - you can FUBAR your radio real easy with Labtool.
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

Damn. My codeplug is too "new" for the version I have. I'm using RSS 6.5 I believe. Anyone know if there is a lab version that will let me do the adjustment with this new of a codeplug?

Thanks,

John

sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

any luck with this john?
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

I haven't tried it with the MTS9000 but, I did manage to get around the "Codeplug too new" on my 8000's by using DEPOT/LAB 02.00.01. I'm pretty sure that it will read my 9000's just fine as well. I'll find out sometime this week.

John

Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

I need help with the labtool bias point field.
I was able to adjust the Aux (direct) field down to get the tx to lock on direct, so fine there, and 902 TX is good....
However, the RX goes out of lock below 927.3

Which field do I adjust???
Just need to get the RX down to 927.000.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”