900Mhz multi-band antennas? (VHF/UHF/900)

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

900Mhz multi-band antennas? (VHF/UHF/900)

Post by nmfire10 »

It's almost 900Mhz time here which means it is almost "more mobile antennas" time. I would like to avoid drilling more holes in my roof. Can anyone point me in the direction of an NMO Multi-Band antenna for VHF / UHF / 900. It would be nice if it had some gain. I found a Comtelco one but it is unity on all bands and only 19" high which won't work. I need "some" gain and some height for it to look normal on a hood L-Bracket.

I would also need a VHF / UHF / 900 Mhz triplexor(?) to replace the normal VHF / UHF duplexor I have now.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
kd9000

VHF/UHF/900 Antenna

Post by kd9000 »

I did a search recently and also found the Comtelco, I was also looking for some gain. :(

I found that Diamond does make a tri-bander with gain, but with a type N connector :evil: (yuk) and it's not sold in the states anyway.

I ended up using an elevated feed, trunk lip mount cellular antenna with a shortened whip. Works pretty good. :)

With 900 gaining popularity, maybe someone will fill the need.

Ken
Mike in CT

Post by Mike in CT »

A cmon, REAL men drill lots of holes in their roofs!

Seriously, Matt, I looked around and cant find anything that would fit the bill... (something we could appropriate).

we may have to bite the bullet and go for something like vhf antenna and a dual band 440/927 antenna.

or maybe some kind of on glass thing for VHF high band.

I get a bit nervous about dual banders though, for 927, since at that band, every little bit of loss starts adding up.

I'll try to find a couple of spare moments while at work to think this out.
heh heh

the R
rocketman
Batboard $upporter

Post by rocketman »

I would not even bother with a multi-band antenna, especially when it pertains to 900 mhz. It is a compromise. i would go with a monoband antenna, and not worry about the hassles of antenna loss, pattern disconfiguration, diplexer loss, etc. 900 mhz is too lossy a band in mobile instances to even screw around with. Try to use the best low loss cable/mount assembly that you can find, and keep the coax just as long as practical (don't coil up 6 feet and stick it somewhere hidden) and most importantly......do NOT use adapters.....install the correct termination on the coax.
Dave
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Hey Dave, How do you think a 1/4 wave would perform as opposed to the gain antennas you and Mike are using? I have garages to deal wiith so if a 1/4 wave would do ok, I might want to try that first. I guess another option would be one of those stealth can antennas, they usually have some gain.

Matt
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

rocketman
Batboard $upporter

Post by rocketman »

I would imagine a 1/4 wave will work well, especially in hilly terrain. As you know, we prefer 1/4 wave on 440 (they work better in our terrain than the gain antennas). It is certainly worth a try, especially in light of the garage opening issues. Plus a 1/4 wave is cheap and broadbanded.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

if you guys want some 1/4 900 mhz stuff let me know i can get them from work for free
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

KitN1MCC wrote:if you guys want some 1/4 900 mhz stuff let me know i can get them from work for free
Oh sure, now ya tell me after I ordered it.

I don't suppose you can get your hands on UHF 1/4 waves?
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

no all out stuff is 900. these are the little shot galss looking randomes. are u working at all this week during the day
k4wtf
Batboard $upporter

Post by k4wtf »

KitN1MCC wrote:no all out stuff is 900. these are the little shot galss looking randomes. are u working at all this week during the day
Ooh! Ooh! Me too! Me too! Still got any of em around?

John
Check out The New and Improved Bat Lounge

http://www.batlounge.us
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

no but i will see what i can get

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”