gtx 900 how many channels

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mike m

gtx 900 how many channels

Post by mike m »

How many channels is the GTX HT and mobile capable of ? I though it was 16 channels conventional.

I just did a bunch of each, HTs and mobiles to sell and I though they were all capable of 16 channels.

I'll tell you I had problems with this project, first the software had a virus on it but fortunately Mcaffe cleaned it fine then I find that after I made a list of 16 channels, taken from my 900 maxtrac list, that these dang GTX's cannot hold 16 channels. Is there any way around this ?

I have a headache from motorola Software but I guess if it can't hold 16 channels then I'll have to do with them the way they are, at least I'm getting money out of them. And no I don't have anymore left as they are all already sold.

Mike
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

ht & mobile

Post by Jim2121 »

GTX Ht's are 10 channel Mobile is also 10 channel

If there's a way around going over ten channels, someone else is gonna have to post about it, cause I 'd like to know also.

10 & 10 stock from the shop
1motoman

gtx

Post by 1motoman »

It is possible to bit bang the RSS into making 14 convential channels, only the display reads a little funny on the extra 4 channels.
Dennis
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Re: gtx

Post by 10-95 »

1motoman wrote:It is possible to bit bang the RSS into making 14 convential channels, only the display reads a little funny on the extra 4 channels.

Dennis, can you post some detailed info on this?? I'd love to get the extra 4 out of mine. I actually wondered if there is a way to overwrite the gtx as a PTX600.

Frank
1motoman

GTX

Post by 1motoman »

Dennis
mike m

Post by mike m »

Thanks guys,

Thats good news as I haven't sent the radios out yet and I think 14 channels would make the new owners happy as opposed the 10 they now have.

Mike
Big BOB

Post by Big BOB »

Yeah Mike, 10 channels.

Big BOB
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

be advised that the extra channels are almost useless to use in reality, the corrupted display over 10 makes it a pain to remember what channel is what.
mike m

Post by mike m »

Oh well they will have to get by with the 10 in em already as I thought I'd be able to catch them and add the 4 extra channels before the wife shipped em out after I read the expansion mod but no such luck as there on there way to a ham friend in Mich.

Mike
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't believe there are more then four 33cm ham repeaters in Michigan, let alone ten. Unless they absolutely need a lot of simplex channels, I don't see 10 conventional channels as a real limitation for 900 ham.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
kd9000

GTX 900 Channels

Post by kd9000 »

Some people travel around, so more than 10 can be an advantage.

In SoCal we are using frequency re-use, i.e. common repeater channels & PL with Las Vegas and Phoenix to help out the folks with 10 channel radios.

Having said that, I can put 10 conventional channels in a GTX, but it only wants to scan 8. :( Does anyone have a fix for that?

Ken
1motoman

Re: GTX 900 Channels

Post by 1motoman »

[quote="kd9000"]Some people travel around, so more than 10 can be an advantage.

In SoCal we are using frequency re-use, i.e. common repeater channels & PL with Las Vegas and Phoenix to help out the folks with 10 channel radios.

Having said that, I can put 10 conventional channels in a GTX, but it only wants to scan 8. :( Does anyone have a fix for that?

Ken[/quote

None that I know of
( the manual says that's all that can be scanned at one time)
Dennis
mike m

Post by mike m »

Your not being a jerk I don't know what he is going to do with them.

He wanted them programmed up and he paid me so now I can put the money towards helping with 2 new 900 rptrs here in central AZ.

One on a 7700 foot hill and the 2nd one on a 8000 foot hill, it should stir up some activity in the desolate quite north country of this state.

My friend is probably using the GTX's for horse trading knowing him.

Oh the interesting thing about these GTX radios that I programmed, when I received them they were all originally set up for a type II trunking system but all the control channels and one conventional channel were in the 902 to 928 ham band, none were withing the commercial ranges.

It looked like they were the start of someones 900 ham trunking project that they gave up on.

Mike
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

hmm and they came from michigan?

sounds like the GTXs that came across my bench, i programmed them for the repeaters in traverse city and moved the type II data to the ham band incase they decided to see what was on that channel, i didnt want to interfere with what may be in use up there.

boy small world if they are them.
mike m

Post by mike m »

No I don't know what state they originally came from but I can find ot next week.

They were sent to a horse trading friend in Michigan but he didn't say what they were being used for, they now have several 25 MHz offset902 to 928 rptrs along with927 talkaround and simplexchannels in them and they still have the 902 ham type II sytem info in them. I'll check the codeplug later and I can post the CC info along with the sys ID.

Two others of the exact same model but from a different source were done for a local ham in town.

Mike
CTAMontrose
was grem467

Post by CTAMontrose »

haha sounds good, ive still got the codeplugs, ill look it up and see if they match, that would be crazy to me.
Seth

i dont have a subject.... im the slave.

Post by Seth »

are the code plugs avalible online here on the site??

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”