My new GTX M11W mobile...

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

My new GTX M11W mobile...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

...is about to arrive and I'm trying to get set up to use it. I have several questions:

1. I gather that the pinout of the 16-pin connector is different from the pinout of a Maxtrac, though the connector itself is the same. Am I correct?

2. I can't find any information about the power connector for this radio, so can someone tell me what the setup is?

3. Batlabs says the programming cable is same as the Maxtrac, which is fine.

4. Batlabs also says the mic pinout is same as the Maxtrac, but I saw another statement that the pinout is different between the two radios (GTX and Maxtrac). Someone please straighten me out on this.

If anyone comes to the DC area you can get on 902.725/927.725 with a 5A PL and talk to the few of us now talking there. With the passage of time we hope for more activity.

Thanks to all for your help.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

1 - The pinout is pretty much the same as the Maxtrac/GM series. Pin 2 is tx audio in, Pin 3 is PTT, Pin 7 is ground, Pins 1 & 16 are for external speaker. One difference is you jumper pin 16 to pin 13 to enable the internal speaker...not pin 15 like the Maxtrac/GM series. Another difference is that it's completely non-programmable. The Pin 11 rx audio out is always unsquelched, and there is no COR pin at all. There are some jumpers inside you can change to make pin 13 do a couple of different things...none of them particularly useful. The radio requires ignition sense in order to work right out of the box. There is a spot inside where you can pop in a zero ohm jumper to get around that.

2 - The power connector is the standard Maxtrac style connector.

3 - Yes, same programming cable.

4 - The pinout is the same as far as I know, though I haven't bothered to do a pin-by-pin comparison with the service manuals. Perhaps the GTX doesn't have 'headset audio' or something.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”