900mhz maxtrac hearclear vol/mike board swap

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

U233

900mhz maxtrac hearclear vol/mike board swap

Post by U233 »

I received a 900mhz maxtrac with a damaged hearclear mike/vol board
the other day. I tried swapping one from another non 900 maxtrac as the articles here suggest but it wont work. What am I missing is there something I need to ground or jumper?. Any help (or parts) appreciated.

George
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

What's damaged on the original H/C board that caused you to swap them? The volume control and mike jack can be replaced. Other than the actual H/C hybrid going bad, there's not much else on that board.

What didn't work when you put the non-H/C board on the 900 MHz radio?

The H/C board uses some wires that are spares in the non-H/C board. The logic board is different to accomodate the H/C circuitry up at the control head.

I would expect the basic functionality to still work with a non-H/C board.

Bob M.
U233

Post by U233 »

The volume knob was driven through the front panel, breaking the
panel, board and pot. The non hear clear board will turn the radio on and
control the volume but no PTT or audio and no serial communications.

Substituting another hear clear board restores normal operation. I just dont have one to spare.

Thanks

George
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

The pot can be replaced, but if the hybrid board was cracked, about all you can do is replace the entire assembly. I wouldn't even want to know what Motorola wants for one; it would be cheaper to buy another 900 MHz radio on eBay.

The PTT and programming lines should have been the same. I'm surprised that it did not work. I would have expected audio problems, not the ones you had.

Oh well.

Bob M.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”