GTX 900 -- will mic lines on 16-pin get HearClear'd?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jonathan KC8RYW

GTX 900 -- will mic lines on 16-pin get HearClear'd?

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

I know on the MaxTrac, the HearClear module is in the front head, and only the front mic gets HearClear'd. How about on the GTX? Can I use the 16 pins and still be HearClear'd on tx?
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

HearClear is RSS set per channel, so it should not matter how you have the Accy. pins arranged, you should have HearClear available on all the frequencies you have this enabled on.

I only use HearClear on 927.500 as all 'our' 33CM systems do not make use of HearClear, sad but true.
Jonathan KC8RYW

OK, I was only asking because the MaxTracs do not do HearClear on the RF or the Logic board. They do it on the board inside the front display with the volume/on-off knob and the mic jack. Only the front mic can be HearClear compressed on transmit, and only the audio after the volume pot is HearClear expanded on recieve. So, 900 MHz MaxTracs get different heads than all the other bands.

I'm glad the GTX does things differently (I don't have a GTX manual so I couldn't check for sure.)
73 DE KC8RYW
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

The biggest pain with the GTX series, is the trouble with the slow attack time for P.L, it just is not up to par with 99% of the other radios.

The P.L decode time lags behind the carrier, which makes reception a pain for those quick keys as well as those who talk the second the mic is keyed; it cuts off at least one ot two syllables before fhe P.L decodes and opens the receiver.

The GTX mobiles and potables missed the boat here, and it's sad too.

Good basic design, but crappy P.L.

All my GTX radios require more than 100 milliseconds to open the receiver, which is slllooooowwww.

Not to mention squelching action with reverse burst is likewise sslllooooww, with a rather loud squelch tail.
Jonathan KC8RYW

The GTX doesn't do reverse burst well on transmit.

http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorol ... _info.html

73 DE KC8RYW
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: GTX 900 -- will mic lines on 16-pin get HearClear'd?

Post by AEC »

With both the Maxtrac and the GTX, neither radio will have HearClear capabilities through the Accy. connector, it's only run through the TX/RX audio on the GTX and from the front panel on the 'Trac as the radio does not have the capacity to handle this 'option' as a stand alone feature, this is why it was added to the front panel, unlike the GTX, which was designed with HearClear in mind from the start.

You could call the 'Trac an 'upgraded' feature set that was added later as an afterthought.....*DOH*

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”