900 MHz Spectra stuck on 10 conventional channels

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ke4zdg
What radios do you own?: Spectras, Sabers, MCS/MTS2000

900 MHz Spectra stuck on 10 conventional channels

Post by ke4zdg »

Hey guys,

I know this could fall under the programming, 900MHz or the codeplug groups, but I couldn't decide.

Anyway, I've got a dash mount 900 MHz Spectra (D37KGA5JB5FK). I've got it accepting amateur frequencies, but it won't let me go higher than 10 conventional channels. It's a version 3.24 MLM in it. Anybody know of a workaround to kill off the trunking modes and make them conventional? Or does anyone have a conventional only codeplug that will work on my MLM version?

Thanks,

Jared
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Re: 900 MHz Spectra stuck on 10 conventional channels

Post by kcbooboo »

I discussed this recently with someone else. The general concensus is that some radios, regardless of firmware version, just will not let you increase the number of conventional modes the radio can do, in particular, the B5 and B7 radios. It doesn't seem to matter what power level or band the radio covers either. You can delete the trunking modes but that still won't let you increase the conventional ones. The fields on the left side of the Radio-wide screen just can't be accessed on these radios, so you can't tweak the numbers that control mode capabilities. Having the right system key file doesn't help either.

Other radios don't seem to have this restriction. Not sure if bit-banging the model number would help.

Bob M.
ke4zdg

Post by ke4zdg »

Nahh. I tried that. I'm wondering if I change the serial numbers and shove in a codeplug for a conventional-only radio will work. Only problem is I can't find a codeplug for MLM version 3.24. Anybody got one?
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

I bitbanged my old 900 trunking spectra from 10 conventional to full conventional only, 128 channels with scan and MPL using the info found here on the board. The starting address was different, it took a lot of searching for the right place.

Chris
N9LLO
ke4zdg

Post by ke4zdg »

I bitbanged it with the same features that are in my conventional VHF Spectra. I found the correct location and entered the features there. I first looked it up in the command board range and wrote down the first 5 or 6 bytes. I then started looking in the MLM range and searched until I found the same 5 or 6 byte combinations. That was the point I entered my info. I read the radio and rewrote it to make the command board match the MLM (to get rid of the FAIL code). I noticed no differences in the codeplug once I did that. Am I missing a step? Is there a moflag option that lets you change trunking-to-conventional ratios?
N9LLO

Post by N9LLO »

Yes Moflags are the key. The model number change is just part if the operation.

Chris
N9LLO
ke4zdg

Post by ke4zdg »

Which ones?

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”