Spectra 900 stopped tranmitting PL/DPL

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Artiedog

Spectra 900 stopped tranmitting PL/DPL

Post by Artiedog »

My Spectra, D37KGA5JE7AK, quit transmitting PL/DPL tones. It was working fine, then during a QSO simply quit working. I read the radio, then tried re-programming it and still no PL tone. After asking around, I understand that this was a problem that was experienced by others in the commercial/public safety field, and was covered under warranty (obviously thats out!).
Have any of you run across this problem and is there a "ham-type" fix or repair? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Bob
WB0RJR
WB0RJR
Artiedog

Re: Spectra 900 stopped tranmitting PL/DPL

Post by Artiedog »

Well, not having received a reply here, :( I did a little more reading and came up with this from Robert W. Meister WA1MIK on Repeater-Builders.
This seems to be a common complaint, especially after reprogramming the radio. It seems there are either some improperly modified copies of software roaming around, the version prior to the latest had this as a known bug, or some older radios have a problem. The program accepts out-of-range frequency information, but manages to mess up the coded squelch settings. This can usually be fixed by reading the code plug with a non-modified program, changing just the coded squelch values, and writing the code plug back to the radio. Of course, this means keeping multiple copies around, and knowing when to use each one.
It worked for my Spectra 900, :) and if anyone else has that problem, it sure was an easy fix!

73, Bob
WB0RJR
WB0RJR
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Re: Spectra 900 stopped tranmitting PL/DPL

Post by rrfd43 »

Same problem I had here, the modded version would show the pl in the display, but it would not work. Read with non-modded rss and it showed no tx pl. After I re-wrote it all is well.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”