Antenna on UHF XPR6550

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Antenna on UHF XPR6550

Post by N4KVE »

I know, another question, but DMR is new to me. I just got a 6550, & it seems to have a stubby UHF antenna. Maybe it's a combo UHF/GPS antenna, I don't know, but I have no need for GPS, & I turned it off. Since the thread on the antenna seems the same, can I just use a regular 6" UHF antenna that's used on the Jedi & XTS series of radio for better performance? GARY N4KVE
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Antenna on UHF XPR6550

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Gary,

You can use any old UHF antenna you want to on a TRBO portable. Actually, they make at least two fat UHF antennas
for that radio, one is about five inches and the other is about three inches. They both have that round ball type thingie
on the top, but I don't use the GPS either so I don't pay any attention to the need for GPS functioning.

One other thing. On simplex you will probably find, as I did, that the digital coverage is better than analog and very high
quality. TRBO is a great mode.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks Tom. I'll probably just use the 3" antenna as I'm quite close to the repeater I'm using. The digital quality seems great. I don't know if that has to do with the 1.09.00 f/w, but I'm real happy with the link from WPB to Miami. Thanks again. GARY N4KVE
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Hey Gary many of us here in SFL use the Motorola NAE6547AR UHF Helical 435-470 stubby antenna. It clearly outperformed the stock UHF/GPS antenna and is much smaller.

/\/\arshall
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks Marshall. I ended up using the 6" UHF antenna that comes with the Jedi & XTS radios. It's flexible too & has worked well on my other UHF radios. Next step is drop the mic gain from 4 to 3. GARY N4KVE
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Gary and Marshall,

There exists another recent thread here that strongly implied that a GPS-capable antenna seriously
degrades the FM performance of the TRBO radio. For that reason, and because (as I said above) I
don't use the GPS thing, I use a "standard" UHF antenna on my 6500. I mention this FWIW just so we
keep all the bases covered, so to speak.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”