cross patch on TRBO question

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ems46pa
What radios do you own?: too many too list

cross patch on TRBO question

Post by ems46pa »

We are looking at a UHF TRBO system for our towing service, is it possible to create a talk group for specifically a VHF cross patch that would be active all the time.

is it a simple as a rick and a conventional VHF hooked into a UHF trbo radio?

our situation is that the turnpike runs VHF and the current trbo system that would be available to us is UHF we dont want 2 radios in the truck
John Trimble
Bill_G

Re: cross patch on TRBO question

Post by Bill_G »

I thought there was a VHF Trbo available.

Yep. According to our guys, you can get VHF Trbo. You can mix up analog and digital channels in the same radio. If you put in a Trbo repeater, you can have two time slots in digital mode. The only thing they aren't sure about is how scan would behave. But, there is no doubt about product availability. You should go talk to your dealer again.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I don't think he cares about availability of a TRBO VHF radio. I think he is looking to patch a specific talkgroup on a UHF TRBO system to a VHF conventional radio, perhaps at the site where the TRBO repeater is located.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

OP wrote:

"We are looking at a UHF TRBO system for our towing service..."

Sounds to me as if he has not bought anything yet.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
ems46pa

Post by ems46pa »

there is a UHF TRBO system established in our area what i was asking is it possible to have a bi directional patch a vhf channel onto a UHF TRBO channel
John Trimble
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Ah. Well, if you are going for the wide area coverage, and you want to still participate on a VHF channel, I'm sure it can be done though it might be a bit clunky since the UHF system is trunking with all the built in delays. I anticipate the first syllables from the VHF side will get cutoff. It may be as simple as a RICK to do the physical connections and level setting. However, I don't know if the Trbo mobile provides COR which a RICK depends on to key. You may need a VOX box. I'd talk to the system provider to see if they have done it already.
ems46pa

Post by ems46pa »

thanks for the info, we have a meeting with them tomorrow afternoon, i will bring it up and we will see
John Trimble
gopher

Post by gopher »

We have a bi directional patch from a 14 repeater analog network to a 10 repeater DMR network. All done with an asterisk box w/URIx connected to a xpr4550. Works very well. Cost is very cheap / but very DIY solution. There were a few times where there 4550 would not key up due to not getting a chanel grant and asterisk would not know. never looked into a solution. Also we have the ability to change the channel on the xpr4550 via DTMF from analog,trbo, or web console.
d119

Post by d119 »

gopher wrote:We have a bi directional patch from a 14 repeater analog network to a 10 repeater DMR network. All done with an asterisk box w/URIx connected to a xpr4550. Works very well. Cost is very cheap / but very DIY solution. There were a few times where there 4550 would not key up due to not getting a chanel grant and asterisk would not know. never looked into a solution. Also we have the ability to change the channel on the xpr4550 via DTMF from analog,trbo, or web console.
Amateur or commercial?
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

would be nice if there was a 2 drawer one control head option
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Bill_G wrote: However, I don't know if the Trbo mobile provides COR which a RICK depends on to key.
In true Motorola fashion, they don't make it easy. I'm not 100% sure for UHF/VHF, but in the 800MHz models, you can get COR in digital mode, and in analog conventional mode, but NOT in SmartNet mode. Even though the pin is labelled "PL/Talkgroup Detect" in the CPS, that apparently is referring to Capacity Plus digital trunking, NOT SmartNet. Pain in the ass.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

wavetar wrote:
Bill_G wrote: However, I don't know if the Trbo mobile provides COR which a RICK depends on to key.
In true Motorola fashion, they don't make it easy. I'm not 100% sure for UHF/VHF, but in the 800MHz models, you can get COR in digital mode, and in analog conventional mode, but NOT in SmartNet mode. Even though the pin is labelled "PL/Talkgroup Detect" in the CPS, that apparently is referring to Capacity Plus digital trunking, NOT SmartNet. Pain in the ass.
Feature!
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

I don't know anything about this product, but I came across it looking for another item.

TrboConnect Cable™ provides an interoperability solution for MOTOTRBO™ Professional Digital Two-Way Radio Systems. This solution allows digital and analog radios to seamlessly connect and is compatible with UHF, VHF, 800, and LTR radios. Works with Conventional , IP Site Connect, and Capacity Plus Systems.

-Connects your analog radio system to your digital radio system, allowing them to speak on the same system
-Works with UHF, VHF, 800 and LTR

http://www.streettrek.com/solutions/oth ... nect-cable

http://www.streettrek.com/wp-content/up ... nnect1.pdf
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

d119 wrote above:

"Amateur or commercial?

The OP wrote that he has a towing service.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

RFguy wrote:I don't know anything about this product, but I came across it looking for another item.

TrboConnect Cable™ provides an interoperability solution for MOTOTRBO™ Professional Digital Two-Way Radio Systems. This solution allows digital and analog radios to seamlessly connect and is compatible with UHF, VHF, 800, and LTR radios. Works with Conventional , IP Site Connect, and Capacity Plus Systems.

-Connects your analog radio system to your digital radio system, allowing them to speak on the same system
-Works with UHF, VHF, 800 and LTR

http://www.streettrek.com/solutions/oth ... nect-cable

http://www.streettrek.com/wp-content/up ... nnect1.pdf
That's kinda neat. Thanks!
gopher

Post by gopher »

d119 wrote:
gopher wrote:We have a bi directional patch from a 14 repeater analog network to a 10 repeater DMR network. All done with an asterisk box w/URIx connected to a xpr4550. Works very well. Cost is very cheap / but very DIY solution. There were a few times where there 4550 would not key up due to not getting a chanel grant and asterisk would not know. never looked into a solution. Also we have the ability to change the channel on the xpr4550 via DTMF from analog,trbo, or web console.
Amateur or commercial?
Amateur
Allstar node 28522, currently RX only.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”