Mike gain too hot on XPR4550

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Mike gain too hot on XPR4550

Post by N4KVE »

I have been using a XPR4550 for a while now, & people say my tx audio is way too loud. I'm using the ttp mike RMN5065A, & I've read that the audio on that mike is hot. I leave the tx AGC off, as I never liked the way the tx audio would sound in analog using Jedi, AS3, & XTS radios. Someone suggested I leave AGC off, another suggested the RMN5065A mike was never made to work with the XPR radio. [but yet the mike plugs in the radio.] I'm down to minus 10 in the mike gain, & people say I'm still too loud in comparison to the other users. I talk 3" from the mike, & don't shout, but people always ask why I'm shouting. My ht [XPR6550] is set to plus 4, AGC off, & I'm told I sound fine. I don't have a non ttp mike to try in comparison. Should I enable AGC? Any suggestions here? GARY N4KVE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Mike gain too hot on XPR4550

Post by escomm »

RMN5065 is the correct DTMF mic for the XPR4000 series... no doubt about that. Try reducing your AGC in the codeplug on digital as mentioned on your voicemail yesterday... it won't hurt anything... will probably take some adjusting to find the sweet spot. RMN5065 is an Impres mic so it will automatically make some adjustments on the gain internally depending on background noise.

From Motorola's website:

"This microphone features IMPRES audio which suppresses ambient noise, improves voice intelligibility and amplifies loudness, making it easy to hear over road noise and rumbling trucks."
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Thanks Jeff,set it to minus 15 now. I'll see how that works out. AGC still set for off. GARY N4KVE
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Down to minus 20 now, & still hot, but better. Just so I could hear the difference, another guy set his audio to minus 5, & then went to minus 20, & there wasn't really a big difference. He also switched from the ttp mike to the regular mike, & the regular mike had more bass, & sounded more natural. I think I just have a loud voice. GARY N4KVE
N4KVE

Post by N4KVE »

Saturday noon, & the problem is finally solved! Our Trbo group has a breakfast gathering every Saturday morning. I spoke to one of the rptr owners who has connections with M. He put his settings in my radio, & I tried it. Now I had to turn the gain up. While this doesn't make sense, it worked for me. On the XPR4550 mobile there are gain settings for digital, & analog, & for the front mike jack, & aux jack in the rear. Both jacks need to be set the same. At -20 on the front jack, & 0 on the back jack, the audio was still too loud. At minus 20 on both jacks, there was almost no audio. So with minus 12 set on both [front & rear] jacks the tx audio is now perfect. Again, this doesn't make sense, as I don't have a mike plugged into the rear jack, but it works. GARY N4KVE

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”